SaltCritters.com

new nano

jimmie51

Here is my new office nano. It just finihed cycling and the corals will start going in a week or two. I am getting pretty stoked. The only problem is when I go home at night I can't mess around with it. I think my wife likes that part though.

Yes it is my first nano. I'm not sure where the avatar came from. He reminded me of a shrimp from a tv commercial that I saw a while back. That commercial was so funny, when I saw him I new I had to have it.

Nice rock arch, I like the holes in the rocks too. I see you have Newmans cousin in there. I love damsels, they are so spunky. You could hide the heater at an angle behind the rocks.

What corals are you planning on keeping?

Thanks Liz. I am replacing the heater with a 50w ebo jager soon and it wll go into my fuge. I am either going to build one or get a aquafuge. I thought about doing a aquaclear 500 for a fuge but I havn't seen to many people that have had great succes with it yet. Yea, I like the damsels too. He is not staying though. I am just waiting until I find a pair of tank raised clowns that I like. I just couldn't handle nothing being in there any longer. He will go into a FOWLR tank that I am building now for work.

I havn't really decided on coral yet, but I like the green trees and some exnia. I also want something for the clowns to host with. I don't think I'm ready for an anenome, so maybe a bubble coral or somthing like that. The hardist part is waiting. It is driving me insane.

jimmie, it isn't a matter of being ready for an anemone, they are just more trouble than they are worth. Look into a hammer or frogspawn as a host. they are hardy, easy on the eyes, and can't cause anywhere near as much damage as an anemone (they move, they sting, they get stuck in powerheads etc.).

Cool thanks for the advice Crakeur. I really wanted an anenome but after reading about them here I will wait until I set up my 46 gallon set up. I've seen some frogspawn that i really like so it sounds like a plan. Thanks again.

BTW, my avatar is beaker. Meep! Meep! Cool Lookin Tank. Now you have to drill it and put a fuge on...with a DIY kalk reactor...and auto top off system!! JK! I like it though. I wish my tank were so simple looking. It has tubes and hoses running in every direction...and wires going everywhere...Sheesh. Your so lucky you get a nano at work.

actually I'm working on a fuge now, and I am also working on a auto top off that constantly tops off the tank. Basically it will work like and IV bag except it will hold a lot more water. I figure I will have to refill the top off unit once a week and the water will stay filled to the fill line all the time. That and I just can't seem to leave things be, so it will have all kinds of bells and whistles soon enough. Thanks for all comments.

Originally posted by The Unit

is that enough light for a frogspawn, tourch,  or hammer?....

I'm new to this but from what I've learned so far with 3-5 watts per gallon, I thought I could keep all the soft stuff. I would only run into problems if I wanted SPS. Is that correct? I do see alot of people use two to three times the lighting I have, but I thought is was just preference.

For the most part, you are right on. Every type of lighting has it's true output different from what it's proportional wattage is. Your one PC36 is alot more intense than even a 40watt normal output flo. That one 36 watt you have is prolly almost as intense as my 10R's 5*15 (=75)watt bulbs. There is a nano at the LFS that uses a clip-on 36 watt and it is stuffed with corals. I did notice that they tended to keep the more sun-lovin corals at the top however...closer to the light. You could do the same. If I'm not mistaken, the corals at the top of the stores nano were SPS as well.

Thx wetworx101, It's so hard to keep things straight with everyones opinions mixed in with the facts. I guess this whole hobby is still a lot of personel preference versus what is right or wrong. Thanks again for the help.

Archived