Coral Vue Hydros

redsea aquavase questions

silence

iam setting my aqua vase but iam wondering if i can just use the stock 7watt light or replace the 7watt bulb for a 9wat? if theres any coral besides zoos/shrooms i can keep?would it help if i put chemi-pur or purigion in the HOB or mabie put some cheatoe algea in it?

for livestock besides coral iam thinking of a small cleaner shrimp, some hermits snails and mabie some kind of tiny fish latter....

Most people that have these tanks buy another one of the stock lights and use two, or you could use 3. You could use Chemi-pure it is up to you. In the HOB put some live rock. I think that might be a bit small for a fish.

riotj did one of these. Here is a link:

Riotj's Aquavase

Hope this helps!

texan

It was a 50/50 combo but a 7W, not a 9 W and as you can see it did fine. The bulb was purchased from reefconnection.com in Costa Mesa.

I had a little torch and blastos so yes it is possible even with a 7W. The secret I believe is religous 25% water changes every 5 days. I had to upgrade since everything was growing so well. I did develop a little hair algae problem on one rock which I used a toothbrush to remove and it hasn't returned.

thanks texan and riotj :) , i dont think i can get another light or a 7watt 50/50 bulb unless i can find a place that ships to canada,(i asked the lfs but...nope)

riotj did you take the neck/clip off your light? if so how?

thanks texan and riotj :) , i dont think i can get another light or a 7watt 50/50 bulb unless i can find a place that ships to canada,(i asked the lfs but...nope)

riotj did you take the neck/clip off your light? if so how?

Did you try reefcollection.com for the bulb? It think it was like 8 or 10 bucks. Give them a call. The name of the bulb is Aqualux and it has 9000K printed on it. If they have it I am sure others somewhere do also. Do a Google search for Aqualux 7W

No I didn't remove the neck and clip off the light, but I did a little fidgiting and cut the metal neck in half ( totally disassembled of course which required cutting of the wires and then electricians tape to reconnect. I put it directly on a plastic tank cover that I made for most of the day, keeping it attached to the tank for the first and last hours of the day or thereabouts. My only concern with Canada would be temperature regulation. I didn't use a heater even in the winter since I live in Southern California and the temp fluctuations were from 70-72 to 78-80 every day with no ill effects.

Oh and yes I did have a little pice of cheato in the back of the tank behind the rock which did get light. Can't say if it helped or not. Nitrates were always around 20 ppm but with no ill effects. Hope that helps.

thanks again riotj, i looked around and think iam going to order the light fron aquaticeco.com its $6 so i dont think that shipping, costomes ect should add that mutch more to it, my temp with the light close to the water is 80 today so i think iam going to try and get a small fan and put it behind the tank and see if it helps, dos anyone know if you can run that hydor 7.5watt heater dry? i was thinking of putting it under my tank so it just heats it up a littel.

my tank now has some LR from my other tank and sand from it, also got some kelp(or close to it)from the LFS and hope it will survive some time this week iam going to go get my cleaner shrimp too(its an inch or so) :)

so far i realy like how this tank is coming along

thanks again riotj, i looked around and think iam going to order the light fron aquaticeco.com its $6

Silence, in there anyway you can post the link for the light that you found?

i have been searching for days for a 7 or 9 watt 50/50 and even now when i have searched on the site you found i still cant find it...

thx, - Don.

i actually ordered the galaxy light fixture and a 13w 50/50 bulb from hellolights for my tank. it looks awsome, just had to make sure i built a lid to stop the evaporation.

well i thought about adding a fuge to this tank but instead i put an AC 20 on the back and cut the unlift tube down, iam going to put some chemi-pur and purigion in it and if i need to a 25watt heater, i may not get the light after all sence iam not sure about customes ect now(may be over 20$ if the bulb is made from some ware other than the USA/mexico!!)so i might just put a 20watt screw in a desk lamp above the tank and see how it works or ifs theres to mutch heat.

i got my cleaner shrimp and hes realy cool(hes hideing right now)i still have the stock light but i might just go all the way and by a coralife mini aqualight for $30(is there any SPS i can keep under that light?)sence then i have a lot more options for corals.

Fishfreak218

no... IMO it would be very hard for someone to keep SPS in this tank because alll the fluctuations... light isny everything with SPS.. you need alot of flow and stable everything..

JMO

Archived