ReefCleaners.org

Pistol Shrimp

FishFreak77

FishFreak77

Hi, I was thinking of getting a shrimp and wanted a pistol shrimp. I was just wandering if they had to have a goby friend, since they are blind and all. I do have two YWG, but they are already paired and I didn't figure they would accept him since they're already had a mate to hang around with. Give me your input :D .

P.S.- Are there any type of fish or invertebrate that might eat them?

They dont need a goby even tough they are blind, the will still manage to snap at something they're not comfortable with. I actually think a mated pair of gobies will still form a relationship with a pistol shrimp. I have never done it, only a single goby and a shrimp but I have seen mated pairs with shrimps so you can give it a shot. They dont really have many predators since they can make that pop. I have seen them stun fish before though just from being startled. Good luck if you get one they're great to watch when they form a symbiotic relationship.

I don't think you need a goby with the pistol. i got a pistol as a hitch hiker in a piece of lr. He's never come out, but i can hear him snapping at night.

I say get a goby if you want to see the cool little relationship they form. Otherwise you'll probably never see the pistol.

Just my two cents

clifford513

I had a stonogobiops nematodes with my two alpheus randalli shrimp. I only saw one of the shrimp on a regular basis. My goby died when I transferred tanks and I never see the pistols. I still hear them and have seen one of them so I know at least one is alive. I added a ywg, who stays in the vicinity of the rock I know the shrimp is in, but I don't think he has paired with the pistol. He doesn't seem as amiable as the stonogobiops. Could just be me though. The pistol would follow the stono out into the open all the time. If it has paired with the ywg, it never follows the ywg around.

I don't think you need a goby with the pistol. i got a pistol as a hitch hiker in a piece of lr. He's never come out, but i can hear him snapping at night.

Not all pistols are commensal. That's why I suggested a tiger pistol.

I second the tiger pistol. I have a YWG and Tiger Pistol and the tiger pistol is quite a character, I had the goby first and they had no problem pairing up. I didn't know they were blind until reading this thread now it all makes sense!

Archived