Pod Your Reef

about to start a 5g nano..

Zero

i did my research and read the articles and need to know how much is this going to cost me.....i will be getting equipment from my girlfriends brother which will save me a little bit....so all and all how much with this be costing??

I don't think there's a short answer to this.

Figure around $30-50 bucks a gallon, if you buy everything new.

I don't know what kind of deals your girlfriends brother is gonna give you..

Simple breakdown: (assuming you already have the tank)

all approximate.

LR $20-30

LS $20

HOB filter $15-25

Heater $12-25

Lighting $30-90

Basic Test Kit $25-45

Salt mix $15

Total $140 - 225

pretty close to the mark.... you can bring this down considerably by shopping around and DIY.

HTH and good luck with your nano. It will give you hours of enjoyment.

The cost will may be more or less depending on the type of lighting you go with.

also, you might want to consider a powerhead for more water flow. Personally, I would only use a hob for either additional water flow (still get the ph), a microchiller or a tiny refugium. Also, the costs above don't include livestock, so expect to spend more than the above amounts.

Lastly, one might want to consider a tank, which isn't included in the above list and would be a vital component in any reef system.

Not to sound like too much of a dck but, if you did the research, you should know the equipment you plan on buying and, therefore, should have an idea as to the cost of the individual items. Perhaps, if you list the goodies you plan on purchasing, we can help you with your selections and possibly even find a cheap online dealer to supply you with the goods.

Archived