Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how many holes should i get in a 90g

andrewkw

Well this weekend I'm going to check out Big Al's and hopefully finally get my new non nano tank. All my experience is with a nano with no overflow or closed loop. I filled it up right away without even thinking of getting it drilled and never thought too much about holes and where they should be up until I decided I wanted a large tank as well. I've been doing a lot of reading but I am still unsure as to how many holes I should get drilled.

I'd rather ask the questions online then to a kid at big al's.

How big should the overflow hole be 2" that would be for a 1.5" drain? What flow rate should I be aiming for in the overflow 600gph 800?

How many holes and how big should I get the closed loop. I plan on mostly LPS but I do want to try SPS as well. I am thinking all the holes should be drilled near the top of the tank but would lower be better? In my nano I have one of the ph's facing up so the surface water gets moved however I'm guessing the overflow will take care of surface skimming.

I know these are pretty simple questions I should know, I just don't want to end up making a mistake, especially a stupid mistake

I don't plan on buying anything other then the tank / stand and maybe an overflow box at big al's. I know enough that everything is cheaper elsewhere online.

ugh i have a really bad fever and throat infection so if something in here doesn't make sence sorry, i still want to get the tank this weekend though and get it ready to be painted before adding lr.

thanks

VermontReef

My 90 gallon Oceanic came reef ready. The holes are 1 3/4" and 1 1/2".

I have a quiet one 6000 return pump (supposedly 1600gph) set up in the fuge on it and it is wide open, probably 10-12ft of head accounting for all the elbows. It flows nicely. Thinking I may be getting 600gph or so. Not 100% sure.

This person, petscentral, on ebay has excellent prices for bulkheads when you do drill the holes.

Archived