Innovative Marine Aquariums

Live Rock @ $1.95 per lb?

SeaMountain

eTropicals.com has 'uncured' LR for only $1.95 per pound. Is it a better idea to purchase what I think I'll need the first time around? Or is it better to pick some up, and add to it over a period of time?

Any other recommendations on LR sources you've had success with?

freakaccident

If its a nano I would stick with fiji LR and not that carribean rock. The carribean is much less porous than the fiji and it takes more of it to get the same benefits. For instance it might take 10lbs of carribean rock to equal 5lbs of fiji rock. So in a 10g you might need 10lbs of fiji or 20lbs of carribean. Thats just an example. When you add in the cost of shipping you might spend more on the carribean.

Hey thanks for the heads up! :)

A number of years ago I took a cruise ship through the Caribbean and absolutely LOVED it! Since I have been reading up on nano's and reef tanks before launching one, I thought it might be cool to recreate a Caribbean Reef. Hence the Caribbean LR. But you make some good points about the Fiji. Again... Thanks freak! :D

with regards to ordering everything at once or slowly adding live rock over time, I would go with the all at once since it's uncured and will need to cycle every time you add more rock.

The Caribbean thing was just an idea for a 'themed' nano. Overall, Iwould rather have the better looking LR staring at me since I plan on having it around for a LONG time! :P

Hey! Isn't this what everyone is hollering about? Doing your research and questioning before you dive into something that may not be to your liking? B)

Crakeur... You must have a job much like mine! Plenty of *free* time, especially if you happen to look busy to other people! :D

Originally posted by SeaMountain

Crakeur... You must have a job much like mine! Plenty of *free* time, especially if you happen to look busy to other people! :D

um, is that a nice way of saying I have too much time on my hands and I'm a post whore?

Whore? ???

That reminds me of a call I had with my son a year or so ago. Turns out he met and was dating a stripper in Kansas City. All was fine.

Then one day I give him a call and ask how things were going. He told me he dumped the new girlfriend. "Why'd ya do that son!?" I asked!

"Because I think she was cheating on me Dad!" was the reply!

"SON!!! She was a STRIPPER man!!! What'd ya think was gonna happen!?"

Post whore, eh? Hey... Some of my best friends are way worse than that! Who around here IS the Post Police anyway? I enjoy reading your takes Crakeur - Flames and all! B)

Every few minutes my office staff will walk by my office door/window and look in - but they don't come in. Why not? Because while I'm reading posts about reefing, and typing just like I'm doing right now, they think I am WORKING on some huge-@ss account!!! :D

I'm here quite a bit during the day reading and trying to learn what I can. And I see you, Satch and a few others are here as well. I would rather read snippets here than some boring book somewhere else!

All I can say Wildman is this... Thank God we don't have it as bad as some others do! ;)

lol, I would smack that son around a bit. Anyone that has a stripper should keep the stripper and enjoy it as much as possible.

As for my work, I am actually very busy but I find that killing a few minutes her and there helps make the day go by without me losing my mind. Plus, I have been starting the work day at 6:30 -7:00 in the morning thanks to my daughter's new wake up time of 5 am. Leave the office after 8 PM so I'm entitled to some dead time. Plus, I am sort of in control here so nobody can frown on my work practices.

I dated a stripper who turned out to be bi-sexual!!!!!!! I was in hog heaven for about 4 months. Two bi-sexual female strippers = HAPPY SALTYDAWG!!!!!!!!

Alas the F!@k train had to end. The biatches wanted me to start pay'n their rent!

boobies or no tities!!!! The Dawgman pays his own rent and no one elses! :)

Tell your son to get a bi-sexual stripper the next time around.

Tip: NEVER go the her place. A stripper will make you feel bad about the place she CHOOSES to live in. NEVER visit her at work.

unless you arent the jealous type.

I bought Carib rock from TBSW and was very happy with it. I did get an average of one mantis shrimp per twenty pounds, but I also got lancelets, lots of tiny brittle stars, feather duster worms, sea cukes, and a small urchin as hitchhikers.

I don't personally think that the Fiji or Tonga rock looks 'better' than the TBSW rock does, but YMMV.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

freakaccident

The thing about TBSW LR is that you get it practically 100% still alive with no die off. Wouldnt it be nice to see what other LRs would look like right from the water? I just think there is so much life from the TBSW LR. I have a friend who has 100lbs of it and when I saw it I was amazed at the amount of life on the rock.

You don't get 'no' die-off with TBSW rock. In fact you can get quite a lot, because there's a lot more stuff on there which might not survive shipping. That's a risk with uncured rock. I had a pretty harsh spike when my second shipment came (TBSW sends you half your rock at a time).

If you start at the beginning of my gallery and move forward, and pay attention to the two largest rocks (the ones I started with) you can see where in fact a lot of the sponges and stuff did die off over the first six weeks as the tank settled in.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

Since I'll be needing some LR very soon (One more coat of gloss black for my canopy and then install the lighting!:D), I took a trip to TBSW.

Does "The Package" sound like a good thing to do? Drop in the Live Sand and half the LR. Cycle. And then TBSW ships the rest of the LR and a Clean-up Crew. Check it out here - http://www.tbsaltwater.com/package.html

Has anyone stocked their tank in this manner with TBSW? Depending upon pricing I was thinking I might give them a try for my 10g.

WhiteRat - You posted just prior to me hitting the Submit button. I read on TBSW's site the LR is cured. Was this not the case with what you received?

What I got was uncured, fresh out of the Gulf of Mexico. They do sell cured, but The Package is uncured rock. Talk to them, they're VERY helpful.

In a tiny tank, when you put the second set of rock in, you will be doing a LOT of water changes. Like, daily. Keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrates. Highly recommend a small clump of macroalgae.

I did go with The Package to set up my tank, and most of the rock you see is from that. I have added some rocks with frags on them, but that's all. You can see very much a 'from the beginning' pictorial log of my experiences with TBSW and a few other dealers at my page below (see SIG).

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

Archived