Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef or fish with live rock?

Monkeyrobb

Monkeyrobb

OK, so I'm nearly done with my stand and will be setting up my tank soon. Right now I have two small cubes that are doing well. My original plan was to make the 75 gallon a reef tank, and use the two smaller tanks for some unique fish, such as leaf fish. I recently went snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez and saw amazing fish such as triggers, puffers, and wrasses. Since these fish require larger tanks, I'm now thinking that I make the 75 a FOWLR and keep the two small tanks for reefs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robb

BTW, if you ever get a chance to swim with a school of big blue tangs in the sea, do it!

i mean you are going to have a bunch of people say reef reef reef, but thats not a bad idea, especially since you can theme your two reefs. I would say fill the 75g with some fish and some fairly tollerent corals, or, I could see a sea of xenia and fish, that might be fun. IDK, the possiblities are endless, but I lke your idea.

And yes, if you ever get to go to a real reef, dive it, because it is amazing.

Monkeyrobb

And yes, if you ever get to go to a real reef, dive it, because it is amazing.

I was never interested in diving until last week. I think I will get certified here and be ready for my next trip. It would be great to really be down on their level instead of looking down on them.

Robb

I vote FOWLR.

You have 2 small reef tanks already.

I like the xenia idea...it will also keep nutrients out of the water and out of the path of algae so that will work as its own refugium.

If you are thinking triggers stay with the smaller ones...and realize your limitations with a 75g tank.

I would love a 75g Harlequin Tusk tank

Fishfreak218

you can still do a Leaf fish in a Cube...with coral.. i had a 12g. with 2 Leaf fish and params were fine.. but one recently died..

Fishfreak218

low oxygenation...^^^ i had bad water flow.. the other one was found gasping at the bottom.. and the food (the damsel) was at the top trying to like eat the air or something..

that problem is fixedd though

Thanks for all the replies. More than likely I'll go with a few semi aggressive but reef friendly fish and a few corals, like the xenia. Definately leaf fish in one cube, and my other small fish in the other. I'll post some pictures soon.

Robb

Archived