Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting for a 5.5 gallon

Malawi

hi

i am new to the forum and to saltwater. i am a Malawi Cichlid enthusiast.

i must say that this site is very impressive, good work guys.

i have a nice 5.5 gallon with a Marina canopy. Unfortunatelly, the canopy can only hold a T-5 fluorescent tube. i presently have an 8 watt , 12 inch T-5 Aqua Glo.

i was just wondering if there is any type of Nano-Reef that i can pull off with this lighting?

thanks for any help or suggestions

M

Don't really know what you're looking to do, but if you're talking corals, you'd be able to get away with mushrooms and some zooanthids. Anything beyond that would be begging for a lighting upgrade. Whada ya interested in?

hi

thanks for the reply.

i really dont know much about saltwater. i was thinking of setting up a mini reef. mostly corals with maybe a small fish or two. i just dont know what coral species can thrive with the lighting that i have.

sorry for my lack of knowledge on this topic. maybe if someone can steer me in the right direction.

thanks

any help is appreciated

M

best thing for you to do is read as much as you can. You can find a lot of info on this site by using the search function. There are also good books out there that will help you learn stuff. I spent a good four months reading this site and other resources before I started. Read, read, read. Once you have a better understanding of the hobby you will know what you want out of your tank and then you can start making decisions.

Archived