inTank Media Baskets

O No, my mushrooms are receding/disappearing

Mini_GBR

Im not sure whats going on, but I have noticed my mushroom colony not doing all that well. I purchased it a couple weeks ago, and was doing fine, and then a week ago I noticed, or at least i thought, that they were shrinking or disappearing. Now, today I beleive with certainty they are shrinking, and a few are missing. My paramaters are fine, with the Nitrates <5. I'm not sure whats going on, too much light, to little, a possible hitch-hiker crab (which I believe I have)...what should I do? Help please, I love this colony.

-Mike

i feed a mixture of mysis and brine and algae. What should I be feeding them, i guess i didn't realize thety needed feeding. And what should I feed them and how. Spot feeding? I mean one or two of them have shrunk to a very small diameter, sixe of the end of a push pin (the blunt side, not the tack part).

its a frozen cube i feed ever other day, its got a mixture of those three things, but I've never seen the mushrooms eat by any means. Is there anything i should be feeding. On this site I have found no other mention of feeding mushrooms, I was afraid it could be too much light (they are under a ledge with 142w of lighting, 70 halide, 72 cp), but they are semi shaded. I thought then it could be a hitchiker, but I have yet to see one, except a possible molt of a small claw that could be a bad crab or a hermit crab claw. Have yet to see another molt though.

Feed them phytoplankton. You can get the powder form from Petco or the more expensive liquid kind. shrooms are maily filter feeders.

so they are constantly filtering then?, this would make sense since I've never seent their stomachs or any slime coming out and being re-ingesting. Thanks for the info. Could a crab be doing this also, eating the mushrooms, or do tey not usually do that to mushrooms. And, would this recession (sp) been this fast if I wasn't feeding?

Shrooms do shrink frequently. Mine can go from from a pea size to 3". I don't believe a crab is destroying them. They do filter constantly. Depends on what kind of shrooms your have, some are photosynthetic, some may accept meaty bits, and others feed on phytoplankton and microplankton..

Archived