ReefCleaners.org

Picos vs Power Outages

The Keeper

The Keeper

I started this thread for Pico owners to discuss how they manage to keep their tanks alive when the power goes out. I would imagine that Picos are more sensitive to the effects of a power outage then larger tanks but im not sure.

Regardless, some of us live in area's where power outages are quite common. I live in Miami for example. Last hurricane season we lost power on 4 seperate occasions, the shortest was for 3 days. The Longest was after Katrina and we were powerless for 4 weeks.

Today my power went out. My 5.5 has two battery powered airpumps on it now which splashing saltwater everywhere!! ARGGHHH!!

I was hoping everyone could post their experiences with power losses, what you did to save your tank, how long you went w/o power, how the tank faired the trauma, what did you lose, etc. etc.

Also some discussion on generators would be useful, but probably not really relevant in this forum, I know there are plenty of threads already about power outages and generators in other forums. Since FPL (florida power and light) is the slowest ######tiest power company ever I will definately be buying a generator for this upcoming season to power my 47, 20, and 5.5 gallon tanks. I need to be able to run a wall unit a/c, and all 3 tanks with a 1800kw generator. I hope its enough power.

i have a UPS on my six gallon, it only works for outages shorter than 12 hours though. the longest we have had was about 8 hours.

Archived