SaltCritters.com

how long do parasites live?

djchristone

djchristone

ok...well my last clown died from god knows what...all i know is that it had some sort of gill infection...saw it after i came back from my 4 day trip...i had my brother check the fish daily but seems to have been pointless. -__-

anyway...there are no fish in the tank...only a few shrimp, snails, and hermits... some coral but yeah.

but ok...i understand that most parasites...if not all...rely greatly on fish to survive...so since there are no fish in my tank, and i can't medicate it, how long before these parasites go? :P

ReefApprentice

Look into a UV sterilizer. They did wonders for Mike Gurerro's 72gallon reef which had ich.

Alex

djchristone

ok wow...i looked for uv steril. on ebay and they seem like they're only built for larger tanks :P i think the smallest one i found was for 90 gallons...:P

blah...it's gonna be hard going fish-less for that long but oh well >.< can't help that :\

djchristone

holy crap -_- 80 dollars...lol...

i think i might just get one from ebay instead for a lot less >.<

is there a difference in these companies? o.O

are these any good?

jebo

or...

jebo ody.

djchristone

ok well...i went to a lfs...and they said a uv sterilizer would kill all the bacteria in my tank because of how small it is...12 gal...>.< true or false? o.O

ok well...i went to a lfs...and they said a uv sterilizer would kill all the bacteria in my tank because of how small it is...12 gal...>.< true or false? o.O

False. Your bacteria colonies are primarily in your LR or your filter media depending on your setup. The UV sterilizer will only kill what is free floating. The bacteria in your tank is on EVERYTHING.

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt do anything medication wise to your tank.

letting the tank run fallow (empty of fish) will be a fine fix. i say wait a month to be sure. then make sure there isnt a reason the fsh is geting sick (leaving it with a brother, lol, water temp, or water quality).

most medications will hurt rather than help, and they are made to treat the fish with, not the tank. meds are hard to understand.

keeping the fish in good health with a healthy immune system will be much easier. just make sure to keep up with the care and im sure you're problems will go away.

Archived