Innovative Marine Aquariums

help id hitchicker

cjm033

hey i found this on my glass the other day before i was goin to hockey practice it was still dark outaside so im assuming its nocturnal this is the first time i saw the thing the shell is like 2 shells together and the thing inside the shell looks like a slug so im assuming its somesort of snal i got 2 pics but they arent that good thanks.Chris

ahh here we go this is what it looked liek i found this wheni searched google for limpet this is exactly what mine looks like. are these reef safe? benificial?,Chris

Hmm I have a few different limpets that came in on LR. They seem to just graze algae/film on LR. I am sure there may be some who could graze coral but you'd have to consult an expert taxonomist to find out exactly what you have.

If you are interested in them at all look up 'farmer limpets' a pacific species that has some really interesting behaviors.

Keng Yew, Leong

I had an exact same thing too in my tank last time.Yup, it is nocturnal.It's gone now ...I think my old lobster ate it.But as for as I know,they didnt do anything to my corals when it was still alive.

While you may very well have some small limpets in your tank, the pics posted are NOT limpets in the least.

Did it tool across the glass after the lights came on? Not a limpet.

You can see the shape of the aperture and part of it in the reflection of the glass. Find some photos of limpets, yours isn't one. Or you need to get some better pics to convince me...not that it really matters.

I have a sh!t load of limpets in my 5 gallon nano..

Today, when I woke up...one was at the top of the tank, and when I got home he was back towards the bottom- where he was last night before I shut their lights off.

Oh they move, but they certainly aren't speedy. Top to bottom of the tank over the course of the day sounds about right, once they find a good food source many tend not to move around at all.

mine seemed to be on a small patch of algae when i found it,it was back in hiding when i got back from practice which was when it was daylight about 3 hours later,Chris

Archived