Top Shelf Aquatics

Please give your opinions on lighting in my tank.

reefphreak

I have attatched a photo of my hood that is going over my 29 and I'm undecided on lighting. Should I go with 3 or 4 x55 PC or a 175 MH w/a 10 x 24 reflector ? Is that gonna be too much heat inside my small canopy ? I will have one 3" fan blowing in and one blowing out on the other end. There is about 5 1/2 inches from the top of the inside of the canopy to the water surface.

Instead of running one fan in, and the other out, face them both blowing in, since I see you have an open back on your canopy. This will improve airflow alot in your design..maybe even cut down on fan noise. As far as the light...it's yor choice. Seems you are looking at keeping stony corals & other high light livestock according to your ideas. Personally, I'd go with the one 175 watt MH at 10,000K...maybe 14,000K. It would be easier to wire (one bulb instead of 4), and even though some might argue that PC bulbs might be better because of their lower temp...in your case having four of them is still alot of heat! Just a side question: In summer, is this tank in a basement/ air-conditioned room/ cool place? If not...either one could be too hot.

This tank is in my apartment where it will be warm at time even though I have a huge a/c but I'll be putting an Ice Probe Chiller on this tank..So you think a 175 MH would look ok on my 29 and the canopy has enough room in it for one. I just don't want to end up cooking my canopy.. I have to agree with you on the two fans blowing in, that way the heat would pour out the back. I could always vent the top of the hood too if I decide to go with the 175 MH.

Ok, Mh is out of the question as my lights would be too close to the water surface according to somewhere I was reading... I guess I'll go with 3 or 4 x55 watt...

I've been considering the Coralife MH pendants. They're $175 for a 175 which includes everything - including a pretty sharp looking pendant. That deal is at hellolights.com. I think a 250 would be fine for a 29.

I look at it like this:

>One MH bulb is cheaper than 3 or 4 x 55 or 65 watt PCs

>PC bulbs might be cooler than MH, but that many PC bulbs... they have alot of radiation space compared to the MH...so I feel the heat output will be similar.

>How tall is your canopy? I bet there is a MH solution out there that you just havent found yet. For Example, Hamilton Tech just released low profile reefsun fixtures for people in your situation, or you can run two smaller MH bulbs instead of one 175w...like 2 100w...I'll check on the new Hamiltons and get back to you.

Thanks a wicked lot.. I'll be ordering as soon as I can figure out what to get.. I do like the idea of one bulb but I only have 5.5 inches between the canopy top and water surface... I built the canopy with pc's in mind but now I'm liking the mh and a pendant is a no no for the room it is going in.. I don't want to light up the whole room. It is my tv room and it's not a huge room at all.

Those would work, eh? You could hang the light a little below the wood on the inside so that air circulates all around it. They come with lenses to cover the bulb...so you could put it just a few inches above the water and no problem...I think. You might want to talk to someone at hamilton to verify...but that 150watt MH should work...right?

You might think about getting the 20k lamp.

I had one befor it was a 400w 20k over a 70T

the color is great, alot of people suppliment 10k with extra actinic but with the 20k you get about the same color all from one lamp.

Also that same 70 I ran the 400 about 4" above the water without any prob.

I have a 29 gallon and run a 250 MH on a horizantal pendant. I use the reefsun 12K and it is on the blue side. To the naked eye the 175 watt 10K aqualine looks much brighter than a 250 watt aquasun.

I was running the 175 first and probably could have stopped there, but when I ordered a new PFO 175 watt ballast, I was accidentally sent a 250. needless to say I didn't complain and hence my reason for 250 watts over the 29.

It a shame that these options don't let you use that hood, it looks nice in the photo's

Guy

if heat is something you are worrying about

build the canopy taller

i have a 45 gallon corner tank

i built a 10 inch canopy and i have 2 36 watt actinics with a 175 watt 10k mh and 2 fans, one goes in and other goes out

my temperature never budges off of 80 degrees.

I just finished pop riviting my PC clips & a 150W HQI socket to my reflector for my 25G. I bought them from Hellolights Canadian supplier www.aquariumpros.ca B) I have two 55W PC for actinics and I have ordered a 20K Ushio 150W HQI bulb and ballast. If it looks too blue with the 20K I'll chang too a 10K or less.

Cool hood I haven't finnished mine yet. My reflector would look good in yours though LOL. I plan on having a 14" distance between the top of the hood and the top of the aquarium. This setup might work well for you too.

So much building to do so little time:*(

That's a nice setup buddy.. I would be afraid that the MH bulb would be too close to the water in my setup. Cooling would be no problem because I put my two 3" cpu fans in yesterday. Now I just have to wire everything up. I am getting it to be complete slowly but shurely. Check out the hood with the grilles in it.Keep us updated with pics of yours.

This setup would probably be good in your tank then if you don't want to go MH.

http://www.lampsnow.com/4x55wretrofit.html

And with two 3" fans should be ok as you will be running an Iceprobe as well.

Are you using 12V or 120V fans as I haven't decided which to use yet. 12V are cheaper but then you need a 12V adapter. I'll probably go 12V with an adapter pluged into the timer for the MH as when it comes on is when things will realy start heating up.

They are 12v and yesterday I picked up a transformer or voltage adapter for 8 bucks at walmart..It has multiple voltages to pick from so if i ever wanted to slow the fans down I could just drop the voltage. I got the fans off e-bay and the grills too. I got 5 fans for 15 bucks and the grilles were like 9 bucks for the two.

freakaccident

I don't see why you couldn't put a 150w HQI MH in that canopy. If your cooling fans are blowing across the bulb it shouldnt be a problem. I have one 3" fan blowing across a 96w quad pc bulb and it doesnt even get warm to the touch. Oh and I wish I would have gone MH instead of this quad PC. I didn't realize that MH retro kits are nearly the same price.

Archived