ReefCleaners.org

Help with new lighting!

Fliger

I'm looking to add a MH retro to my 29 reef. I've never done any lighting DIY. On my 50T I bought a complete set-up, plug n play. Now I'm looking to add a retro to my hood on the smaller tank. I saw at hellolights they have a 175 watt that looks pretty cheap. Two really stupid questions though - what is the difference between magnetic & electric ballast systems? The magnetic ones are so much cheaper, do I need the electric one? Also what's the difference between pulse & probe start in the magnetic ones? They have a probe start magnetic system for $79! I'm looking to run a ushio that was given to me.

Actually I just looked & they recommend a pulse start. but what's the diff between electric & magnetic.

Also, is this as easy as screwing the retro into my hood (has fans), splicing a wire & plugging it in?

Thanks.

Electric DIY Dummy

I dont want to get into details, but from what I've seen, going with magnetic will limit you to running bulbs that have a lower kelvin rating, like 6500K max. Electronic ones are capable of running the higher frequencies required for 10000K bulbs on up. Dont get me wrong, you can put a 20000K bulb in a magnetic ballast, but I hear that it will ruin the color spectrum of the bulb.

This is what I've seen & heard...anyone else know better?

Archived