SaltCritters.com

MiniBow 5 Refugium Idea

MiniMasterFlash

MiniMasterFlash

I have a pretty cool idea about adding a refuge to a mini7. I was noticing that the Mini5 is taller then a Mini7 by about an inch and half. I know this includes the light height, but I am assuming both of the light heights bias out with comparision. So I was thinking with the mini7 sitting without its base and the Mini5 beside it sitting on its base you could get about 2.5+ inches of possiable height difference. This would allow you to drill a drain hole in the mini5 to pour water back into the tank from the refuge. And I guess you could put a small MiniJet 404 to pump water from your tank into the fuge.

And of course since the Mini5 is acrylic it would be trivial to slap some baffels into it. Of course this is a little costly since the mini5 is about 35-50 bucks, but it does allow you to keep with the rocking minibow theme. I would even imagine that you could retrofit the 13W GE flourescent light that comes with the Mini7 into the hood of the mini5, but i think the width might be a little tight on that mod.

Feedback? Any problems i'm not seeing? Unless someone points out a glaring flaw I believe I am going to attempt this setup. THanks!

DUAL MINIBOWS FOR ALL!

I wouldn't pay an extra $20 for a tank just because it had a bowed front if it wasn't my show tank, but that's up to you I guess. It probably all depends on where you keep your tank and how much room you have, but I would go with a cheap AGA (bigger the better).

I bought a $4 1.5g juice pitcher from Target to use as a sump on my 5g (could easily be turned into a fuge with a light. All it took was a little coping saw to cut a hole for the bulkhead, and a 90deg elbow.

But then, I know a lot of people like to actually look at their fuges, where I like them for their filter and reverse-photosynthesis purposes.

first of all you would have to drill the minibow 5 on the back and place them back to back to it would be kinda weird looking. and expensive. just get one of them critter cages for like 6 bucks and put it behind the tank. if its not tall enough , make a little stand out of a pecie of a 4x4 or something. then get ya one of those 13w drop lights from HD and use it for a light.

Archived