Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fuge or Skimmer?

MacnReef

I know this question has been asked a ton of times, but I can't find a thread on this anywhere.

Which is better? I currently run a 10g fuge on my 20 but was thinking of changing to a protein skimmer! I have a nice big skimmer made for like a 150g tank that I think would be great in my sump.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Also, if anyone knows, does a 10g and 20xh have the same foot print?

OK! Well, because my skimmer is an in the tank mount and will not fit above the sump, because of my stand. So its either one or the other, unfortunately!

Just lately, I have seen a lot of people using skimmers, when I before most people used fuges!

Who knows, hopefully I will get some good advise!

OK, well which one works best in a nano! I mean, in my display tank, I have a perc and a watchman. The watchman sand sifts a little but not that much. Do you really think a fuge is doing much more than the display!

If I decide to go with a protein skimmer, I may redo my sump with a 20H or a 20XH. Then I would do more baffles at the beginning of the sump to eliminate micro bubbles!

Lets go ahead and set this up as a poll. Just put what you use and maybe a brief description why. Kinda like Kimura did!

Thanx Kimura

Hey don't beat yourself up! Im sure one day DAVE ESPI will do it for ya! J/K. I appreciate it. I am just wanting to get the best for my corals. I am just starting to think that fuges are a waste of sump space on nanos. I mean I have the same size sand bed in my display, but ofcourse more sand because its a larger tank. Also, my macro was growing fine in my display and looked really good in it.

I know that nothing in my tank is able eat all of the critters in my dsb or on my rocks! I am just starting to think that if I did multiple baffles (microbubble control), large sump area for protein skimmer and probes & heaters & finally a space for my return pump. I really don't need to waste the space by using a fuge!

I dunno, I guess I will wait for some good info about this sub.

Thanx again!

Archived