ReefCleaners.org

tank choices for 10-20g

sonic

What are some tank choices for a 10 - 20g setup? I'm leaning towards a bowfront, like the eclipse but I have seen one with a more pronounced bow, like sticking out more, can't remember what tank it was tho. i have searched throguh many posts but most just say the size not the make of the tank. it would be cool to get a list of tanks to compare. thanks

the lighting that comes with the via aqua is only good for certain corals. I have heard they make their own upgrade kits and they can be preinstalled. Might be wrong there tho.

Nice looking tank imo. Personally, I'm a bowfront fan but the via aqua does look nice.

Sonic, you're probably thinking of the 7g bows. They're glass and more curved than the eclipses. Loads of people around here have them, nice tanks. Expensive though.

I believe that the lighting from the via aqua will be enough, I'm only going to have low-low/mid light softies in there along with one fish and a cleaning crew. I already have an eclipse 6 bow that was given to me by a bud at my office, he wasn't taking good care (never there). One thing that I have been realizing with the bowfront is that if I look at it for too long my vision gets all weird and I get a head ache...

hey, crakeur,

what do you mean the via aqua light isnt enough? what modification are you talking about? modification for lighting or modification for the balast?

the ViaAqua 18 gallon aquarium kit comes with a hood that houses 2x36 watt PC lights. One 10,000k daylight and a blue actinic light. As of the default setup your getting 4 watts per gallon of water which isnt bad if your going to have that low light coral setup. But if you want to have some nice clams and SPS in the tank then you can purchase another hood that will fit on nicely with the first one. Both of these hoods will give you a total of 144watts. Devide that by 18 gallons and that gives you 8 watts for every gallon of water. That will be more then fine for a high light coal display. Make sure you have a top off installed because you are going to loosing some serious water with that setup. Remember that the 18 gallon Via Aquas are an open top setup.

Jeremy

good points goliath, but for now I'm going to stick with the original setup becuase I'm fairly new to this. For the evaporation problem I'm going to make a lid for the tank, that should take care of most of that problem, then I'll do the usual weekly water changes on top of that and a bit of topping off every couple of days.

Archived