Innovative Marine Aquariums

Getting a big tank soon, some questions

andrewkw

I'm either getting a 48x18x24 90g, a 48x18x30 110g or a 60x18x26 120g I'm just trying to find a nice stand combo since this will be my show tank.

My current setup is a simple 15g that is sumpless with a hob skimmer

I am thinking I will buy a premade sump since I don't have any tools and I don't know what I'm doing. Will this cost considerably more when you figure in the cost for not only materials but tools.

Overflow. I was looking at overflow boxes today and I'd like to know what the difference is between having a long one that goes to the bottem of the tank vs the small box. Is one more efficent then the other?

Closed loop how many holes should I have drilled and where? My tank will be LPS dominated, however I would like to try some SPS as well along with a clam or 2 and some softies zoos, ect.

calcium reactor do i need one? I think I can handle adding calcium daily as well as testing frequently, it's something I'd look into later, but it's my understanding i'll also need a c02 tank.

Anything else I would NEED other then lights, skimmer, fuge/sump. I am on a budget, however I can probably hold off on the lights until it cycles and use the extra 65w pc light i have along with some other no flourcents i have lying around until i'm ready to add livestock so I could jumpstart the cycle before I have money for everything.

I setup my 15g nano just as soon as I found the old tank lying in my garage so this time i'm actually trying to plan things out to the fullest. I will draw up how I want the live rock to look too. I am really excited about starting this tank I just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

thanks for the help

i'm not a big fan of tal reef tanks. shallow, long, and deep is much cooler in my opinion.

i'd do a all-glass 125g (72x18x23) reef ready w/ built in overflows. you should be able to get this tank around $400-500 on sale at a chain store or fish store that goes through central pet supply to get their tanks.

also acrylic pre-made sumps are freaking expensive. if you want to save money, buy a glass tank and glue in your own glass baffles. you could do like a 30gL or something in that range for the sump.

ca reactors are awesome, but that is something you can add later.

honestly i'd prefer a 4x2x2 tank, i have one for my red ear slider (turtle) but I want to put my reef tank in the basement where i spend lots of time and I can't fit a wider tank then 18". well I could fit 20" but that would have to be custom made which is more money. 60" is about as long as i want to go as well. Also I'm in Canada so all prices are inflated for no apparrent reason.

I suggest getting the 48x 24 x 24 tank, really gives you plenty of room for aquascaping and etc, plus it comes with dual overflow, really nice tank.

Archived