Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Twin 7 mini bows

Cami

My plans for using a 5.5 plastic tank I had lying around as a fuge seem to have been nixed by the boss (wife). It was just too unsightly for her tastes, and being the fine boss she is , for V day she bought me a brand new 7 gal mini bow to put beside the one I already have. (Got to love the woman!)

My Question is, Do I need to set it up solo or can I still connect them together? It has the NO 14 watt 50/50 bulb. It will be awhile before I can retro them.

I have live sand and rock in that 5.5 that came from my other tank. It has had constant water flow for 3 weeks though no heater or light. The temp has stayed about 72-74. Is this live rock still alive? Will it cycle again? Even with no lights it's growing coraline.

My current setup:

7 gal aga mini bow

28 watt pc 50/50

small HOB for flow

appr 20-25 lbs LR

shallow LS bed - want to add argonite to increase depth

79 degrees

1 clown fish (staying)

4 damsels (going to LFS as soon as I catch the little boogers.)

1 banded coral shrimp

1 hermit crab

4 Astrea snails

1 leather coral

1 white bubble coral

1 candy cane

blue mushrooms (popping up all over tank)

1 slipper/tongue coral

Having a brand new mini bow sitting empty on the floor is driving me nuts.

This hobby teaches me something new everyday, todays lesson, bubble coral will sting the hand that feeds it.

Cami

double bow fronts. mmmmm. would look like a woman's chest. Why not put them side by side and have one side be a fuge? Perhaps set them up so one is for high light animals and the other is for lower light animals. Perhaps a seahorse tank next to a reef. oh the many different things one could do with a double tank set-up.

I'm jealous.

Hmmm, have you been talking to my wife? She suggested the exact same thing. How hard are seahorses? Can I have low light coral with it?

They will be side by side. I have a PH to pump from one to the other 1/2" pvc and natural syphon 3/4" pvc back. I bought the pvc yesterday but haven't worked out the details yet.

Cami

I breed seahorses..

The larger species are harder and more expensive, check out OceanRider.com

The smaller species (dwarf seahorse- hippocampus zosterae) are pretty easy and breed like guppies. The also eat live baby brine shrimp. But you have to watch out for the dwarfs.. Hermit Crabs, stars, and other tank mates might snack on them..Since they are only 2".

You could probably keep about 10 dwarf seahores in a 5 gallon.

check out seahorse.org

and SeahorseWorld.com

Hmmm. dual tanks

I think I would stack them rather than side by side,perhaps

a custom stand and use some kind of overflow to the bottom

and return pump....I got to draw this out on paper ...Laterz

I just tested my syhpon setup and didn't like the results. I trimed the blade on a 402 PH until I got about 110 gph on the highest setting and about 70 gph on the lowest. Using 3/4" pvc for two return syphons my level in the tank I was pumping into rose only 1/4 ", that was good. But when I removed one return syphon the level rose another half inch, cutting it very close to overflowing. On the 70 gph setting the rise was only 1/8" when I pulled one syphon.

Is 70 to 80 gph between the two tanks enough? Both will have LR and LS but only one will have a heater. Should I go to a larger size pvc?

Thanks

Cami

Even on a 10 gal 80 GPH is what....8times am hour.

IMO thats enuff for the 2 minibows ya got.

Unless your ambiant temp is like 35f. and for the return

I would mount the return pump upside down at the surface

so if ya did suffer a siphon break your flooding would be

minimized, All you would loose would be a pump;)

Well I set up the second mini bow and plumbed it to the first, side by side. I added a second syphon because in the tanks had an inch and a half difference in water level. With the second syphon it dropped to about half an inch, and I feel better having a back up.

I set the new tank up with a 3 to 4 inch argonite sand bed. Is that enough for a DSB? And I put in 4 pieces of LR I had in my other tank.

I do believe we will put a seahorse or two in the new tank once we catch the damsels in the other tank. By the way, is there any way to catch them short of tearing the tank down?

When I borrow a digital camera I'll post pictures of the twins.

Cami

Archived