SaltCritters.com

Some pics of my new ricordeas.

Drysocket

I picked this rock up from Tropicorium in Michigan yesterday. I paid $11.99. It's got 3 good sized full polyps and two that are splitting and still connected.

I had a hard time getting the colors to show up correctly on these pictures. They're light colored (almost white) with flourescent yellow mouths and purple around the edges of the polyp.

This is my emerald crab hiding in his spot underneath my giant blue mushroom. See him?

All of the other mushrooms in the pic came from the one in the lower right. It keeps poppin out babies. There's 9 total. I paid $5 for the first one and It wasn't even attached to anything.

I know this isn't a ricordea. I just threw it in for good measure. ;)

That is the cleanest Emerald crab I have ever seen, you must take him out and scrub him, eh? Mine needs a bath, several snails have offered, he just doesn't accept.

Spudds.

Thanks!

Unit - I've had this shrimp for about 8 months now. I'm pretty sure that they do regenerage limbs. Has yours molted yet? I think that when they molt, often times they'll have the new limb hiding under the old exoskeleton. I had an anemone crab that was missing a claw. It appeared again when he molted.

Spudds - I gave him a bubble bath. He loved it. I enjoyed it. It was a real bonding experience. I'd recommend it to anyone with an emerald crab.

Very nice! I have some similar white ricordeas, but instead of purple, they're pink boarders.

We should have a site just for Ricordeas like they do for Zoo's.

i think this is right when a shrimp sheads his shell or so to speak he will regerate his lost limbs.

Just dont gewt worried when it looks like your shrimp population has doubled LOL:)

Tropicorium has some nice deals going on Ricordia rocks. I picked up a rock about a month ago that has 4 small to medium sized polyps and 1 huge polyp that is splitting... I think I paid $19 for it. The rock is about the size of a fist and also contained some encrusting sponges and a clam living in it. The clam unfortunatly was pulled out by one of my Emerald Crabs and torn to shreads.

Fragging ricordias is simple. Slice and dice. I had one ric that I was trying to remove from another coral's skeleton, and I made a mess out of it. Ended up turning it into 4 pieces, all of which are now full-grown discs in other parts of the aquarium, plus the base material that I couldn't quite get all off the coral's skeleton grew into another ricordia.

If I want to frag them, I slice one down the middle with a razor blade, then use the blade to slice one of the half's base from its rock. If I'm shipping, I fill a small cheap thermos 2/3 full with aquarium water, drop the frag in, seal it, box it, and send it 2-3 day mail. I've sent and received several this way without a single death.

MKramer, I did that exact same thing. Mine turned into a puddle of slime, which I dumped into the tank and it grew into 3 polyps.

Or you could always just wait for them to grow on their own... zzz

I hold them in place loosely with cheesecloth or similar netting, which is in turn held down by other rocks on the corners, or whatever's conveinent.

I don't get exact placement this way, as the water can still blow them around a little, but I've had better success than with rubber band and the like.

Unlike Korbin, I've never had the puddle-of-mush problem. Not sure why, though.

Ricordia are photosynthetic. Put them in medium light and they'll never need manual feeding. I have one who lives in a spot that gets almost no light or water flow, and has split already since landing there 2 months ago.

I've always wanted to visit the Tropicorium. My old roommate and I (what's up Sandman?) were planning a road trip down from Mt. Pleasant a few years ago, but it never happened. Now we're both a hell of a long ways away from the T.

Bummer.

I've heard that that guy can grow almost anything he wants to with that setup he's got there. Man, why can't he just pack up his stuff and move to Iowa?

Thanks....I've got a Fuji Finepix 2650 2.0 Megapixel.

It's an awesome camera. Taking pictures under actinics takes some adjustments to the manual settings, though. Sometimes I'll mess with the coloring a bit in photoshop 7....usually just taking a little blue out.

Archived