Cultivated Reef

175 MH ballast, what can I do with it?

jflysmooth

I got this ballast at the reef meeting yesterday for 15 bucks. Its a 175 watter.

ballast.jpg

I'm trying to figure out a way to put it into my new hood. The problem is that I built the hood for my PCs and then got the MH the next day. Can I use a DE bulb on this if I get new connectors? DE is a lot smaller correct? Needless to say the big heavy ballast will be external. I also have some computer fans I could put into the hood, but I'd have to go read about how to do that, they ARE D/C after all. Suggestions? Advice? Help? Thx. :)

I would get ahold of the manufacturer to find out if it will fire DE bulbs. I have a similar one that is for 175 watt MH or MV /150 watt MH and let me say...good call on deciding to mount it externally. When i ran a mogul socket 175 watter that frickin ballast got hot enough to be very uncomfortable to the touch after a while. Those old core and coil ballasts buzz when they operate as well so dont be alarmed by that when u do use it ;)

for mounting dc fans check this thread......

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=8740

Thanks jojopus! Problem is it I can't tell who made it. At least I don't think so, I didn't look that carefully.. I hope the buzzing isnt too loud. :)

ballastclose.jpg

Well.....the buzzing certainly isnt gonna keep you up a night, but it can be pretty audible when your'e close to the thing. If i were you I would look real closely at that label and maybe do a google search on any serial numbers or model numbers you may find on it...you may turn up a document on the thing if your'e lucky and then you can find out if it will fire the DE bulbs like you want. :)

EDIT: I just looked really close at that pic in your last post jfly.... and it looks like the label was painted over. I would make sure its even a 175 MH ballast like the seller claimed..... wouldnt want you to start a fire trying to run a bulb that the ballast cant fire.

Archived