SaltCritters.com

New setup....am I missing anything?

xnor

Hey all...

I should prefix this message by stating that I have no aquarium experience...but I learn fast. After reading the message boards for the last week or so, I have a tenative setup. If anyone has suggestions, I welcome them. My goal here is to have a viable tank for a single fish, some inverts, and coral.

Minibow 7 Gallon

JBJ Desktop Formosa 18" Hood

Ebo Jager 50W Heater

MiniJet 404 Powerhead

10 lbs LR

10 lbs LS

Is there anything I'm missing, or is this sufficient for me to start the tank cycling while I look for critters? The JBJ hood has built-in fans, so will heat from the lights be a concern?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Make sure you use quality (RO/DI) filtered water that doesn't flow through copper pipes. Also, a good quality salt mix. The general concensus seems to be that Instant Ocean is widely used, though probably not the best that you can get. Do a search on "brand of salt" or something to that nature and see if you can find the poll thread.

I hope that you've not yet gotten your LR/LS. If so, and if it's still in a box or something, you've killed off the L from both.

Otherwise, looks good to start. You'll probably want to invest in a test kit that monitors pH, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites to gauge your cycling progress. Plan for at least 2 months for the sucker to cycle. That's two months with out fish or corals - some good LR will provide more than enough to look at during the time. Maybe a few snails and crabs will be okay in a week or so.

Yeah...I haven't bought the LR or LS yet...I'm not THAT naive. :) I keep seeing emphasis placed on good test kits, so I will definitely get one first. One other thing though...shouldn't the cycle period be shorter if I used cured LR?

Chris

If you use Cured LR, which remains submerged through the transport time, it should be okay. Heck, should not even have a noticeable cycle. If you use cured LR that is placed in a plastic bag layered with damp newspaper and algae and you stop off at the supermarket, watch a movie, drive a far distance to get it in the water, you will probably have to cure yet again.

The L on your R is underwater L, right? When your R is not underwater, the L dies (can't breathe w/out water). Thus, you then have dead R, which has to cycle through and become LR again.

Still, wait the two months. You'll have a veritable pod farm in there, and that is ALL GOOD.

John

• 2 weeks later...
smoothoper8ter

I buy my ro water from a grocery store, in which it goes through r.o. and ultra light steralization, i am wondering if it goes through copper pipes, if so why is this bad? it may be a dumb question but i am realtivly new.

thanks rory

Originally posted by smoothoper8ter

why is this bad?

while copper treatments are used in FW and Fish Only SW for disease treatments.....

a simple equation would be: copper + corals/inverts = DEATH

and that is also a reason to never try using a "used" tank to set up any kind of reef unless you are 100000000% sure that no meds that contained copper were ever used in said tank. "Nothing" will ever remove it.

copper pipes can and do lead to leaching of copper into water!!!

Just my 2 cents - but remember -- probably only worth what you paid for it!!!!! LOL

Given the earlier discussion about hoods/lighting in this thread, I was wondering if anyone knows of the existence of either one of the following:

1) A retrofit lighting kit that will fit the stock Minibow 7 hood without drilling/cutting.

OR

2) A third-party hood (with better lighting) that will fit the Minibow INSTEAD of the stock hood (and still allow for adequate ventilation.)

I'm curious because I *was* going to use the JBJ Desktop Formosa, but that will leave the majority of the tank uncovered, and in Arizona evaporation would be a major concern. (I realize I can probably make a DIY topoff, but...I'm new to this. :)

Chris

before everyone yells search at ya...try the Custom Sea Life 32watt retro kit..very easy install works with current hood. My light the 2x32 CSL ABS hood requires modification to the minibow hood

I have the JBJ clamp on light with a 36 watt combo, $55 with bulb included. It does leave the tank open, but nice amount of light, good price, looks good.

I didn't see anyone mention this yet... a good idea would be to purchase a hang on back filter to provide extra oxygen exchange and added water circulation. Of course you dont have to use the HOB with media in it, but it is nice to have just in case something isn't right and you have to add some filters in case of an emergency.

Archived