Pod Your Reef

Anyone know why my GFCI trips when I unplug something?

nanogirl314

nanogirl314

My GFCI seems to be tripping when I unplug something. Earlier I unplugged the pump to do a water change and it tripped. After it tripped when I unplugged the pump, I though maybe it had gotten some water on it or something. So I unplugged everything and dried it off, although I didn't see or feel any moisture anywhere. Then I plugged the GFCI back in but the light on the GFCI didn't come. I pushed the reset button and it blicked on and then shut off right away. Couple more tries, same thing. I unplugged it and tried it in a different outlet and it worked. I put it back in the other outlet by my tank and it worked.

Tonight though, it tripped again when the timer for my Daylight lamp turned the lamp off, and it repeated the earlier scenario where it wouldn't kick back on at first and then suddenly it did.

It's a Shockbuster Tower GFCI that has five outlets on it. I'm using four of the outlets on the GFCI, one of them is running a power strip (with the lights and fans on the power strip). I don't want it to go off in the night and be sitting for hours with no pump, heater running etc. Sorry if I'm blabbing on with too much detail but I don't know what's going on...I'm hoping someone who has more electrical savvy than I do can help me out. :D Thanks.

-NanoGirl314

nanogirl314

The GFCI tripped off in the night, last night, thankfully my mom happened to get up and see it so everything was only off for about 3 1/2 hours according to the timers. Anyone know why it's doin that? Do I have too much of a load on it? Is the GFCI defective?

-NanoGirl314

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

doing a quick search online i found this info for you.

"Breakers trip due to overloads caused by plugging too many appliances into the circuit, a worn cord or defective appliance, or operating an appliance with too high a voltage requirement for the circuit. The starting of an electric motor can also trip a breaker (motors require more current to start than they require when operating).

If any circuit trips repeatedly, unplug all items connected to it and reset. If it trips when nothing is connected to it, you need an electrician. If the circuit remains on, one of the items you unplugged is defective and will require repair or replacement. "

also moister in any of the devises (including the gfci) could be the problem.

i doubt its too many items plugged in. i'd check for moisture (could be the cause of the arc, when your unplugging items) could be your lights have moisture in them

could just be a faulty socket.

Edited by formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
darkwaterdevil

also unpluging anything from the outlet without turning it off will trip it. its doing the same thing as makeing a short when you pull it out you make it spark in the outlet

I was going to say the same thing darkwaterdevil just said. When you unplug something from the GFCI or a surge protector you hear a faint crack noise and sometimes you even feel it. A spark will often jump between the plug and the GFCI which can trip it.

Also, dependent on how old your house and wiring are, your wall outlet may not be the greatest and be causing surges. My house is pretty old and when you turn anything in the house on, some if not everything else flickers :unsure:

If there is something that you are unplugging to temporarily turn off on a regular basis, you may consider adding a short power strip or a power cord with an integrated on-off switch for that particular plug.

I turn of my pumps off to feed. I hooked a cheap and simple power strip to the CGFI and only plugged the pump power cords to it. When I want to turn them off, I simply turn off that powerstip while leaving everything else plugged into the CGFI on. It does not create the spark of pulling out the plug. Everything else stays on and nothing blows.

If you are having it trip on its own at night....there is something shorting,maybe qa pump or heater or maybe even the wall outlet. Does it blow when say, the house AC kicks on?

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

nanogirl314

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Evoracer -

My dad does know a electrician...my dad said he'd ask him about it, hopefully he can help us figure out what the problem is. Again, I appreciate all your replys. :D

-NanoGirl314

• 13 years later...

I hope I am not butting in here - apologies if I am.
We are having a problem with an aquarium underwater filter stopping. It is plugged into a power strip with surge protection and a reset button. Can you advise if this button should be in or out when tripped please as we aren’t sure if it is the filter that’s faulty or the surge protector tripped. Any information would be much appreciated and thanks.