Cultivated Reef

n00b here, help please

sonic

I'm very new to the salt water aquarium hobby, so please bare with me here for a sec.

A friend at work had an eclipse 6 setup for salt water, I loved it and asked where and how, latter on that day he gave it to me. At that time he told me that its been running for a bout a 1 1/2 months and only has one clown fish, he had another but it died. The day after I got the tank I went to the LFS and got another little fish, 3 snails, 3 hermits, and one shrimp. Also I got a new filter and fish food. I did everything the guy at the LFS told me and the fish and critters have survived and look very hapy and acitve.

Now I have been reading post after post here and in other sites, I didnt have a clue of how involved this is but I like it even more because of it.

The tank looks healthy except for some algae, some is golden brown and its only on some parts of the rock (not much) and some is green and hairy (very little) in one part of one rock. The rest of the rocks look very nice to me, with some pink and maroone stuff growing on it. I don't know what any of the stuff is so if someone could tell me what they are and if I should be worried or not...

Also I just found a red/maroon crab, don't have a clue where he came from because the guy that gave me the tank never saw it either, also there was another a little smaller dead in the back of a rock. What kind of crab is it? should I remove it? Theres also a couple of small fans growing, just spotted them.

I want to have some coral in there also, I have read that most mushrooms and zoos are hardy, don't require much light/current and are easy to care for, could I add a small frag? or am I asking for it? what can I add?

sorry for all the questions and any info would be greatly appreciated!

here are some pics of when I first got the tank (last week), I will post some recent ones later on when I take the pics...

tank_21203_1.jpg

i'd switch to a marine flake or a mixture of flake and something (daphnia, worms, etc.).

the little dead red crab could've been a molt. crustaceans tend to molt after a move or climate change ime. i'd remove it since the tank is still very young, just in case.

your cleanup crew should be able to handle the bioload and algae in there. maybe a couple more snails later on to make sure most of the walls are clear. get a floating magnet scraper but be careful of the walls. they scratch very easily (i.e. watch out for grains of sand).

shrooms could be able to be reared in there but that's still borderline in my book. the E's light is pitiful imo.

search around for Eclipse on this site. there are some good discussions of the bio-wheel and pro's & con's.

There are many many upgrade lighitng kits available that fit the E-6. I would be very carfule of water perameter since you say you now have two fish in a 6 gallon tank. Thats a prety big bioload for so little live rock and so little water space.

The algae will go away in time with the help of your clean up crew and the tank maturing.

Archived