Top Shelf Aquatics

New 29 gallon pics

Korbin

I'm in the process of setting up a 29 gallon to replace my 12 gallon eclipse.

Its a regular glass 29 gallon tank

2x55 watt CSL fixture (Thanks CPreefguy)

medium-sized CPR hang-on-back refugium

aquaclear filter (for now)

cheapo heater

Hagen 802 powerhead (way too much flow:D)

background = blue spraypaint

45 lbs of sugar-sized Caribsea Aragonite

10-15 lbs of used liverock

12 lbs of liverock from Tropicorium

Reef Crystals salt

I have a used CPR HOB skimmer that I bought used but haven't cleaned up and used yet.

So here are the pics...

Another angle:

Notice the top-of-the-line light mounts.;)

The stand is a regular steel stand. I painted it with 4 coats of outdoor Rustoleum to keep it from rusting up right away.

Heres a top-down look at the back of the tank. You can barely see that I have the heater in the 'fuge. And the filter that is gonna go once I get my skimmer up and running. I have glass tops on everything to keep evaporation down.

Here are some closeups of the new rock I got from Tropicorium. Its really awsome stuff. And you can't beat the selection. Their liverock tanks are like swimming pools.

Hey Korbin great start. I live in Plymouth and goto the tropicorium too. That place is incredible. I was thinkng of getting that rock for my next tank. I already got Fiji for my ten gal. I'm not done with it yet and already planning a 20L so I will use it in there. Post more picks when you get them.

Lookin good. Those rocks are awesome! I wish I would've known about that place when I bought my rock.

I like the look of the fine sand, too. I think it looks more natural.

Nice rocks, I got mine from Tropicorium too and couldn't be more happy. I have a 20L however I am considering upgrading to either a 29 or a 30 gallon in the not to distant future. Definitly a project for Spring Break or Summer.

Everything that was in my 12. I want to reserve part of the tank for ricordia and zoanthinds, and the rest will house my frogspawn, hammer, moonbrain, xenia, and candycane.

I also have some montiporas and a birdsnest that I will try to grow in here.

Fish... I dunno yet. I need one that can go 5 days at a time without being fed. I'm thinking of a dottyback or 6-line wrasse that will munch on pods that spew in from the refugium. Maybe a flame hawk. Anyone have any other fish ideas?

Also, does anyone have any good ideas on how I can hold the light above the tank? (non-wood related ideas only :P). I was thinking about those JBJ mounts, but I want my light to sit close to the water.

Sweet looking rock. I'm supposing you hand picked it???

After reading your post I searched for Tropicorium and went to their site www.Tropicorium.com . The site didn't impress me but, your *testimonial* and that of 2D_Todd's have.

I'm thinking I may order my LR from them as well for my soon to be up 10 gallon. Is that rock out of the Fiji pool?

SeaMountain:

All the rock looked sorta like this stuff. The flatter, bare rocks you see in the right side of my tank came from someone else's tank. I'm not sure if Tropicorium was calling these Fiji rocks or not. They are the "premium" rocks. Its what they have the most of. And most of them do have a decent amount of coralline on them. They did have some less impressive rocks in other pools.... The website is probably unimpressive because this is an operation out of some guy's backyard greenhouse, basically. And I have to warn you: One of the pools had these little brown zoanthind-looking things on all the rocks. I have a couple in my tank and they appear to be little anemones (not apasitia).

Wiggah,

Good idea. I'll have to think about that one.

Better do something with those lights quick! Looks like an accident waiting to happen. A couple of options -

- Hang them from the ceiling via a chain

- Build a couple of inverted L's with pipe (painted of course) and hang them off the pipe.

- get a sheet of 1/2 acrylic cut it to fit the top of the tank and route out a portion for the light.

-Ed

Yup. Thats how I have my 5 gallon. The light is just sitting on acrylic that I had cut to match the tank and the area where the filters were. It's only a little light though.. Would a light like Korbins melt the acrylic?

Also is that a pre-set heater you are using, Korbin?

Its the same brand that makes pre-set heaters, but its just a manual one. Its what I've always used and they've always held a constant temp. If it ain't broke, don't buy a different brand....

Also, the light's fan keeps the temp way down. I don't think setting it on 1/2 acryic would be a problem. If anything the acryilic would warp and bend.

edying - I'm a little confused on what you mean by the inverted "L"s. Are you talking about building a frame that would stand on the floor? If my ceiling is drywall, how would I hang this light. Last thing I need is to have it drop and crash through my glass top X)

No, PFB. It went 3 then 12 and I made a 2.5 as well.

Now EVERYTHING is going into the 29. The 2.5 became my refugium ;) I should have just bought the 29 in the first place.

I know I could have gotten something bigger, but it wouldn't have been a nano (or at least a mega-nano). And I would have no reason to hang out here anymore. :*(

Oh, I to am tempted by the 20L or 29 now that I have a little more experience under my belt.

Gonna try a 1.5 gal 1st, then maybe after tax refund go for a Via 18. I like their looks, tall and sleak.

Good luck, and we will let you hang out for now ....

Hey Korbin the tank looks great. I live in Canton and was wondering where you got your sand. Oh ya and the Trop. is the best place around for live goods, hands down. I have some of the same rock in my tank it "rocks"

joe:D

Have you found any southdown in the area I cant seem to find anything close to it (southdown), at least not anywhere close. If you have seen any let me know where i can find some please.

Archived