Coral Vue Hydros

Feeding corals

DongShenYin

Uh...Well...Just about anyone who is trying to get them to grow, or to replicate, or just to look prettier than 'bare minimum I'm survivin' looks. Check out any of the coral farmers, you'll see they feed all their frags. Many of them feed quite scary amounts, too.

I use a couple of caps of Marine Snow OR a paste made from fine-chopped and pulverized mussels and shrimp and fish OR flake food dipped in Selcon, rolled thin, left to try, and powdered, and just dust any of the above into my tank a couple of times a week. No spikeage and my corals look happy (well, except for one of my Sinularia but that's another story. It's being WEIRD.) and are growing well.

So I guess I do feed my corals by hand.

Well, except for my fire coral, which I'm trying to teach to take live fish from my lips, but it's slow going...

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

When I bought my first fish in December (Elvis, the royal gramma), my LFS reccomended vitamin-enriched krill as a treat for him. He certainly digs it ... but man, my newest polyps love them. They have pinkish/brown bodies with green tentacles(almost 1cm in length). I have a powerhead that blows a little bit of current over the polyps; when the krill hit the current, it's a feeding frenzy. The polyps are looking a little brighter, new ones are popping up, and they're open all day.

On the other hand, my brown button polyps aren't big eaters ... but they're also open all day, look better than they did at the LFS, and are reproducing.

I hand feed my green open brain and candy canes after the lights are out for a bit and their tentacles are out. The GOB I feed krill and squid chunks, the candies seem to dig mysis and sweetwater zooplankton... everything else seem indifferent to solid foods (the zoos, shrooms and GSP). I do have some feather dusters that came on some frag rocks, so I also put a few drops of DTs Phyto in a week... but have learned my lesson VERY well on that debackle...

Archived