Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

bubbles all over substrate, diatoms?

Angry-Monkey

Angry-Monkey

I know that there are already so many threads about diatoms, but I rarely hear mention of a field of bubbles on the substrate.

Tank is about 2 months old. The stuff started off just looking like a dusting but it has progressed to full blown brown/red strands on the substrate covered in large bubbles.

Diatoms or something else?

thanks

I know that there are already so many threads about diatoms, but I rarely hear mention of a field of bubbles on the substrate.

Tank is about 2 months old. The stuff started off just looking like a dusting but it has progressed to full blown brown/red strands on the substrate covered in large bubbles.

Diatoms or something else?

thanks

Diatoms. Stir it up next water change and suck out as much as possible.

Angry-Monkey
r u sure it isn't cyano???...you might want to look into this

You mentioned brown/red with bubbles....that sounds like cyano.

Check out SH's thread about cyano....good info.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...topic=59205&hl=

That's what I was afraid of. Reading that does make me think cyano. I've heard that diatoms produce bubbles as well but I've never read anywhere that would point towards the amount I'm seeing.

Only inconsistency with SH's description is that the bubbles are big ones not little ones. But that could also just be my interpretation of the words.

Thanks, I'm going to go panic now.

Well I know this is easier said then done but..don't panic...

It seems that every aquarium gets a break-out of the cyano at some point...

At least your tank is not that old and you should have pretty good luck getting ride of it...I've heard of the outbreaks on fully stocked aquariums (a big die-off, etc) that either almost or did take down the system cause it got out of control.

Only problem is there is so much controversy on the best ways to remove (everybody’s fix is someone else's no-no).

Just keep in mind if it is cyano.....cyano = bacteria not algae.

Archived