ReefCleaners.org

More Aquafuge Question’s

Dan Chase

After reading this forum and others, I think I would like to add an Aquafuge to My 10g reef tank. My plans so far would include separate lighting from the main tank, LR, LS & macro algae. It's been 8 years since I have had a reef tank, and I started on them 20 years ago, a LOT has changed! :)

My prior experience with a nano's were LR with a trickle filter and Protein Skimmer, LS & Refuge's are something that wasn't available or at least I wasn't aware of them. I long suspected in those days that a properly set up tank could be filtered more or less naturally, and it seems from what I have been reading, this is the case. Old habits die hard, I was thinking I would like some mechanical filtration and I always believed the protein skimmer was worth its wait in gold. My current tank is now 4 weeks old, 10g stocked with non live sand, 17lbs of Fiji cured LR, a yellowtail damsel, peppermint shrimp & Grape Cauplerpa. I have added over the last week a couple of small zoos and a leather coral. I plan to add more soft and hard corals, a Royal Gramma & Yellow Gobi. More shrimp and possibly a crab. I may also try a clam & SPS coral as I learn more about them and their requirements.

My Question’s

1. So would I be defeating the purpose of using a Aquafuge by adding a small Piccolo Protein Skimmer and Fluval 2 with carbon filter to the third chamber of the Aquafuge? ???

2. I have searched through this forum extensively and it seems there is a lot of conflicting advice. I always felt the protein skimmer was important since I always had fish in my reef tanks. Can the macro algae, LS and LR really add enough filtration with a few fish?

3.Is it OK to dedicate a chamber to a protein skimmer, heater, Fluval 2 and probably a chiller (out house can get pretty hot in the summer)?

4. This will sound really dumb, but I have searched here and looked on the CPR Aquatic site, it looks like in all the pics I have seen, the Aquafuge is higher then the main tank or it wasn’t clear, my tank is 12” tall, would I need to raise the Aquafuge?

On my small reef tank’s, I would change water at about 10% each week, I have been continuing this so far on my new tank. My longest lasting tank was 9 years old when I got out of the hobby and gave the tank to friend. It’s great to see these small nano and pico tanks so main stream these day’s, back when I first started, there was little to no information since most “authorities” said you couldn’t have a reef tank in anything less then a 55 gal. tank! Great to see so many others think they were wrong as well! :P

Any good links to similar Aquafuge setups would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

A lot of what you read here will almost always contradict what you have previously read here. Obviously, there are tons of ways to do the same thing, what you need to do, is find what works for you.

So with that in mind, I am going to tell you what has worked for me.

1. I don't think you would be defeating the purpose of the aquafuge by adding these things to the third chamber. You will still have the main chamber to put sand, LR and macros. I see it as taking advantage of some space and creating a not so cluttered main tank. I am thinking about adding a sponge on the intake chamber to provide some mechanical filtration.

2. My 20 gal has been set up for almost 6 months now. I have 30 lbs of LR and 15 lbs of sand. That is it for filtration. I have to do a weekly water change of 10%, which takes dicipline and dedication, but it is a 20 gallon tank - it isn't that hard. When I first started researching, I thought I had to have all those items to. I was also told it was impossible to have anything smaller than a 55 (sounds familiar). After looking here and seeing all the tanks successfully up and running with out all the extra filtration made me want to try it too. So far, no complaints.

3. See #1

4. I put my aquafuge on my tank yesterday. The way that it is made, it does sit above the main tank. Thinking about it, I think it might be for extra room incase the siphon is broke. If I can dig out of the 2 feet of snow that is in my driveway now, and I can get my sand. I will take some pictures tonight for you and post them.

HTH

Thank you, tonkadawg! This is the kind of real life advice I was looking for! Six months without any mechanical filtration just amazes me, this defies all the conventional think of my first go around with reef tanks. I was told by nearly everyone when I stated my 20g reef would fail, it was the healthiest reef I ever owned, (and I had more then a few, a 55g, 75g & 150g! ;) ). I still feel safer with some mechanical filtration, but if mine is as successful, I will probably pull the Fluval 2 once the tank is firmly established, just one less thing to maintain.

I still believe the protein skimmer is important when you keep fish in a reef tank, but again, I never had a refuge for growing macro algae, just small amounts in the main tank. I would turn off my PS for several hours during feeding time and plan to do the same again. I am also planing to introduce LS in the main tank several pounds at a time over the next few weeks, the sand I can't get to should be seeded by the new LS over time.

I would love to see some pics of your Aquafuge where it mates to the main tank, I have found plenty of pics of it, but not directly showing the water exchange. I'm starting to build a new hood now and I'm thinking of making it deep enough to also cover the Aquafuge, this would also give me a chance to have dusk/dawn lighting effect from the light spill from the Aquafuge.

BTW: I did try a 10g reef back in those days, I wouldn't consider it a failure, but it wasn't a complete success either, after 6 months I moved the inhabitants to my larger tanks.

This is a really exciting time to get back into the hobby! :)

Thanks!

Reading about other's experiences with the protien skimmer in a nano, I don't think it could be bad. My understanding is that it will allow you to go longer with out doing water changes. For example, I have no skimmer now and do a weekly water change. Adding a skimmer will allow me to go maybe 2 weeks inbetween water changes. Also remember, skimming will remove those essential trace elements, which means dosing. My thoughts on dosing is that is allows human error to become a huge concern.

By growing macros in the fuge, it will remove excess nutrients from the water, eliminating algea from growing in the main tank. It will also allow you to 'control' the grow with out disturbing the main tank, provided it doesn't go sexual.

I personally like the idea of simple is better.

Well, roads are still jam packed with snow and plows don't look like they are anywhere close, so no sand. However, I will take some detailed pics of the fuge and the fuge mounted on the tank to give you a better idea of what it will look like when it is done.

Thanks again, tonkadawg. I have been watching on the news how bad you all have been pounded on the East coast. Whenever you get a chance to post the pics would be great, I appreciate your effort!

Archived