Pod Your Reef

Upgrading 20g to 90g - simplest setup?

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

As my tasseled filefish and volitan lion grow, they need more space. New tank is dedicated to this fishes, no corals are planned (they will be picked), fish plus some live rock and a will be a lot of different macroalgae (including 3 kinds of caulerpa, manageable?). Because of heavy feeding and a messy eater, tank will be bare bottom.

Just ordered 90 gal tank, what simpest/cheapest sumpless setup could be? More serious setup will be much later. Equipment, filter media, where bacteria will live, anything. Like I was advised earlier to use filter floss from Wal-Mart - life (wallet)-saving tip!

Was (is, really, until new tank will be set and cycled) 20 gal tank, BB with LR, HOB AquaClear filter, powerhead AqClear20 and bought new MaxiJet 1200, heaters also, 2 cheap but working skimmers rated 75 and 90 gal (overrated, but I expect them to handle 2-3 fishes in 90 gal).

Thanks!

P.S. I know, this is expensive hobby...

• 1 month later...
non-photosynt

Update - what I has managed so far: spare AGA tank as a side-by-side sump, Eheim 1250 pump (there are 180g reef tanks kept on this pump), 100 mk mesh socks with filter floss inside, U-tubes with grid, Matrix Bio-media in plastic mesh basket - aerated from the bottom by airstone with airpump, chaeto, Lee's large CC skimmer from old tank with big Aquamaster air pump, different macroalgae in the main tank, 2 Maxi-Jets 1200 for water movement, 2 submersible heaters. Live and base rock are still major expences, along with lights. BTW, AH lights (ahsupply.com) came out as the best and cheap after all research, and arrived safe to another country.

Archived