Top Shelf Aquatics

# Fish in 5.5 gal

JTrigger

I'm completely new to nano tanks.. so this is my first attempt... and thus far, I've got a 5.5 gal with 6 lbs LR, 2.5 inches aragonite amidst layer of LS, ZooMed 104, BioMini, 2 bookworm lights (1 actinic 03 replaced).

As it stands, the tank has cycled and I only have a few blue-legs in at the time... looking for either a skunk cleaner or blood shrimp now... tough to find much variation in Newfoundland, Canada.. LoL. I originally planned for 2 false percs after seeing Bluezone's nice 4 gal setup, but is 2 too much? :blush:

I think so. Especially an active fish like clownfish. Plus clowns do get sorta big for a tank that small. I would stick with MAYBE 1 small, low activity fish.

Since its your first time with a salt water tank, I would suggest holding off on the fish for awhile. Get some corals first. That will keep you occupied for awhile. Plus your tank will be better suited for a fish once it has aged a bit.

i'm going to be contrarian here. i would go fish first, then coral. fish are much more tolerant of 'bad' conditions than corals and other inverts ime. coral and inverts don't add as much bioload versus any fish. you'll experience a greater change to a coral/invert system if you go with fish later rather than the other way around.

you can have two active fishes in a 5g. i had two percs in a 1g hex a couple years ago but stopped after about five months because of xenia problems, not fish. while it's a pita to wc 'constantly' back then i was wc'ing almost every other day on my main tank (too much imo now) so the hex just 'went along for the wc ride.'

it depends mainly upon the filtration you provide for the fishes. i.e. processing the ammonia and nitrites, wet/dry or exporting. korbin does have a point to let your system age a bit and for such a small system introducing the clowns one at a time may be better (allow the system to adjust in stages). normally i would say introduce the clowns together but for 'small' nanos slightly different rules apply imo. hth

I have one fish in mine. A yellow tailed damsel "Newman". I was comfortable only having one fish in that sized tank. I've always wanted a damsel but due to their aggressive nature they don't always play well with others. So I get to have my beautiful damsel and he can't hurt anyone.

As a side note my clowns are as agressive if not more so than Newman. Don't count on being able to keep two if by chance they don't get along.

Thx for the replies all, ... I think I'll be adding more of a cleanup crew first and then will consider my options.... but as far as hardiness goes, are clowns pretty hardy in general? Do gobies add a large bioload compared to fish who make use of the upper zones?

If you do go with corals first then just buy a couple of mushrooms to test things out. Mushrooms are verytolerant of high nitrate's.

For a fish sugestion I would go with either a blue or green chromis, a clown gobie ( little yellow guy only gets to be 2 inches max), a royal gramma, or cardinal. You can cycle the tank with just about any damsel onthe markett though and then get your permanent fish when yourtankhas been broken in by trading the old for new. I wouldnt put a clown of ant strain in a 5.5g. ( I have a 5.5g my self) It is just too small in my opinion after you addd the rock he has very little swimming area and they love to explore. as far as gobies and a bioload. It realy depends on the fish. The strain I mean . Some eat alot and produce a bigger load while soe simply graze the tank and produce very little. Damsel's, and clowns generaly dont produce a whole lot of waste.

EDIT: I meant to say i would not put any kind of perc. clown, ocolerus clown, tomato clown, clarky clown, false perc. clown in a 5.5g. and i am not sure if the name of the little yellow guy I was typing about is a clow goby.

Archived