SaltCritters.com

Nitrate uptake by the coral Diploria strigosa

Mr. Fosi

Guilty of not reading the paper yet (not enough time to sit down and do so), but does it suggest a greater rate of nutrient export compared to a macroalgae like chaetomorpha? Why would its use be advantageous vs. chaeto which pound for pound has higher surface area available for nutrient uptake, less stringent lighting requirements, and lower flow needs? Cool discovery, don't get me wrong.

The paper was a comparative study between different coral genera and families, so no macroalagaes were included. Also, there was no emphasis on nutrient export, but rather on NO3 uptake of various stony corals when subjected to several different levels of variables.

My presentation of this paper was for the purpose of confirming some of the advice given by so-called "experts" in the marine aquaria hobby (see first post of the thread) with peer-reviewed science.

I would think that xenia's high toxicity would make it a poor choice for a refugium/ nutrient export. Granted it grow fast and takes in more nutrients by weight than macros, but if the xenia dies for any reason your tank will crash. If your macro dies you may have an algae bloom. I think that the risk of xenia outweighs the benefit.

• 7 months later...
Pics came through. It does look a lot like a Diplora sp.

I resized them and have posted them here (I hope you don't mind).

Diplora%20sp.JPG

Diplora%20sp%203.JPG

Diplora%20sp%202.JPG

FYI Ray: Here is a great little program that I have used for years. It is freeware and I use it to resize and color correct images all the time. I like it because it is small and doesn't copy pieces of itself all over your machine. IrfanView

Sorry but as far as I can tell.... thats not diploria. It looks more like a platygyra sp. That would also explain the brighter colors as its a Pacific coral (supposedly from around Tonga). Diploria seems to sadly not have great colors. Platygyra, however, is a great alternative.

Yeah, Jeremai and I discussed this via PM quite a bit, we're pretty sure it's Platygyra. Can't get a for sure species designation though.

You'd need to some microscopy on a bit of the bare skeleton (corallite) to be sure.... right?

I dunno???? You tell me, your the marine biologist! :P

I'm pretty sure that is how you positively identify corals down to the species level.

You don't necessarily need a microscope (couldn't use it anyway) ; a dissection scope would probably work just fine.

You'd just have to chisle off a chunk of your coral, blast the flesh off it, & look at the corallite under the scope.

Not worth it IMO.

EDIT: Not a marine biologist, just a regular one. I'm working on the marine part as we speak. ;)

hold up... you can't do it by taste?

Well, if you can, I'd designate it Platygyra disgustingi. I just sampled a bit of it on your theory, hence it's species ID.

Fosi, if you want some of it's skeleton for an investigation, I'll give you some. I had a tank crash over the summer, and it didn't fare too well. I lost about half of it, and the remainder has yet to return to it's former glory.

Archived