Top Shelf Aquatics

ugggg flatworms

minireefkeeper26

minireefkeeper26

I have flatworms obviously. They are orange in color. I believe they are not the coral eating kind, I was told those were grey. I have been sucking them out every other day, it never seems to lower the number of them. What else can I do to get rid of these things? aaahhhh!

er1c_the_reefer

six and four line wrasses are supposed to eat flatworms. mandarins do sometimes, but that's a hassle. black velvet nudibranchs are supposed to be the best when acclimated properly.

I have flatworms obviously. They are orange in color. I believe they are not the coral eating kind, I was told those were grey. I have been sucking them out every other day, it never seems to lower the number of them. What else can I do to get rid of these things? aaahhhh!

minireefkeeper26,

Here's a quick trick. Try this. Grab a ball of cheato to spare. Place it at a position where the most flatworms are at. Give it some time and wait for the flatworms to infeast the chaeato. You can treat the cheato with some flatworm exit in a separate container, rinse, reuse and repeat the steps or you can wait to almost all of them infest the cheato then toss it. This is a more conservative way of doing it. Give it a try. Be patient and good luck.

~Mike

minireefkeeper26

Those are awsome replies. I will try some chaeto. I actually just bought what the LFS called a christmas tree coral with a bunch of tubeworms of various colors on it. While it was in the bag the owner of the store said look theres that nudibranch. It was about a half an inch long and black. I hope it is a black velvet just to see if he helps. The article was an interesting read, thank you so much. I will keep siphoning and cut back on my addition of phytoplankton, try the chaeto and look out for that nudibranch. Thank you all!!!

darkwaterdevil

the clear flatworms arnt bad i had hudreds of them and didnt care the rest are bad. ps mine went away by themself

Hyposalinity shocking them will do wonders for the tank, but you bust be quick and precise with it in a waterchange or else risk shocking the rest of your tank.

geekreef_05

I had a orange flatworm infestation about 6 months back in my 60 gallon. I never put too much thought into it, cause I know these guys are fairly harmless. But about 3 months I noticed the flatworms had disappeared. I caught glimpses of my sixline and dottyback snacking on these guys. Im pretty sure they rid the tank of them.

flatworm.jpg

i took this pic of a red planaria flat worm (common) that infested my tank from some zoo's i purchased and didnt do a lugols dip first. i researched and found that "flat worm exit" works well when the directions are followed. after application and many had died, i sucked out as many as i could with a baster. this is required if there are a lot of dead flay worms due to the toxins they produce after death. very strange creatures.

the below videos are 2 different flat worms in a single drop of water under a 30x scope with my digital camera. the instrument you will see is the tip of a dental pick. (the size of a pin)

Video

Video 2

minireefkeeper26

update: I tried the chaeto method that a fellow reefer mentioned. It works really good, some of them come right to the chaeto, I just pull it out rinse them off and put it back. I don't know how fast they reproduce but it seems like they multiply quick, I hope all of them are attracted by the chaeto. P.S. thank you for the private message, I am glad to see you care, you know who you are, i deleted the message and forgot your name. But thank you.

Archived