ReefCleaners.org

Dying Torch Coral :-(

chvynva916

My torch coral looked good (except for some very minor isolated bleaching). Three days ago it began to noticibly recede, and by today it looks half dead. Everything else in the tank is fine. My last test of parameters was ok (amm=trite=trate=0, pH = 8.5, dKH = 11, ca = 420, temp=81 +/- 1 degree). I currently have a 10g with 55wx2 (1 actinic, 1 daylight), 15 lbs LR, 4" of a DSB, a 10g fuge with NO lighting and macro.

I just transferred all my stuff from my 5g to this setup about 2 weeks ago. After a brief adjustment period, my torch expanded and looked as good as ever.

Under the same parameters, what would make my torch coral suddenly do this?

Now that I think about it, it happened right after I harvested some old calerpa from my fuge and put some new stuff in. The new stuff is from a 500g tank in which the euphyllia corals have been receding and bleaching for a few weeks.

Any ideas?

how's the phosphate? that might be an issue.

the caulerpa's caulerpenes may be another. are you skimming or running carbon? if not maybe you should.

what was the light difference between the old setup and new? if the 10g is significantly greater (intensity-wise; measuring wattage and distance from bulbs) the torch may be stressed from that. the minor bleaching leaves some suspicion there.

farther out there, maybe a pathogen was carried in from the 500g tank when you transferred the new caulerpa. btw what type of caulerpa?

Thanks for the replies. I don't think its a light acclimation thing. The bleaching (very minor just a few isolated spots) was there even in the old tank. The old tank was 26w on 5g and this is 110w on 10g (I did acclimate over the period of a week and a half) and after the full lights were added it didn't fully extend for a while, but it was fine for about a week after that until this happened.

It is grape caulerpa and I am skimming (prizm) so I didn't think that would bother it that much especially since no other corals (xenia, brain, candy, shrooms) seem effected.

Chris, there is starting to be wisps of slime coming off of it now but half of it is "melted" but they weren't there before. I hate to use the lable since it is so over applied and misused but I'm thinking RTN. Half of it seems to have melted now and its only taken about three days. At this point I'm just going to leave it in with the hope it will drop babies as it dies....

:-(

Archived