Top Shelf Aquatics

Dark spots on clownfish body

bil2k

Does anyone know what these are? They developed simultaneously with ich when I first got the fish. I treated the ich with FW dips and Clout in addition to a month quarentine, but these spots never really went away. They now appear to intensifying over the period of several weeks.

The clownfish remains active and eats well. He does hang near the surface of the tank the majority of the time though possibly indicating respitory problems.

post-18418-1147814658_thumb.jpg

Fanof49ASU

My two clowns have the exact same thing. The lfs gave me some meds for a dip, that I'm about to give them. I don't recall the name of it.

They said it was 'black ich'.....I think...?

Blackspots.jpg

My two clowns have the exact same thing. The lfs gave me some meds for a dip, that I'm about to give them. I don't recall the name of it.

They said it was 'black ich'.....I think...?

Blackspots.jpg

Hmmm

I also would like clarification from anyone who knows about Black Spotting on occelaris clowns.

My female has been developing them - from what I could research, it sounds like it could be related to a number of things, including natural causes such as aging and hosting (she and her mate host frogspawn and two flower pots, but not my anemone, go figure).

All I can say is that it appears to be a pigment discoloration, not raised or damaged in the sense of a fin rot or ick type problem.

I have witnessed NO behavioral changes, so I am thinking wishfully that this is no big deal... any ideas?

travisurfer

ive have heard that many times this is the result of hosting in a coral; most commonly lps. if this is the case the fish may adjust to the host and the spots might go away after a few months.

note: this is not from any experience just from a common phenomenon read about on forums.

^this is also just a probablility that this is the cause^

I have a pair of clown fish of which the female has the same spots. I have had them for 2+ years with no problems at all. I personally would not worry about it as long as they are acting normal/healthy otherwise. Just my 2 cents!

Brandon

ive have heard that many times this is the result of hosting in a coral; most commonly lps. if this is the case the fish may adjust to the host and the spots might go away after a few months.

note: this is not from any experience just from a common phenomenon read about on forums.

^this is also just a probablility that this is the cause^

I have a pair of clown fish of which the female has the same spots. I have had them for 2+ years with no problems at all. I personally would not worry about it as long as they are acting normal/healthy otherwise. Just my 2 cents!

Brandon

What kind of clowns? I have noticed on my ocellaris that the Female is the only one with the spots, although she is also more aggressive when it comes to hosting the corals.

Please tell me I'm catching you before you dipped your fish. Those spots are indeed from them hosting in a coral. Mine got them when I only had shrooms but darned if I didn't find the female face first in one of the bigger shrooms one day. I don't know about black ich, never heard of it, but those are sting spots.

B

Fanof49ASU
Please tell me I'm catching you before you dipped your fish. Those spots are indeed from them hosting in a coral. Mine got them when I only had shrooms but darned if I didn't find the female face first in one of the bigger shrooms one day. I don't know about black ich, never heard of it, but those are sting spots.

B

Yep.....a little late. They didn't like the med dip, but they're doing great now. I guess they forgave me. During the water change today, they were almost touching my hand.

After reading more than you can imagine on the internet about this, I think you're right. That and the fact that my hammer and frogspawn haven't looked that good the past few days.

Also, today I noticed my larger one kinda brushing by the frogspawn.....like it's testing the water. I'm looking for a hairy mushroom at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

Mine got them when I only had shrooms but darned if I didn't find the female face first in one of the bigger shrooms one day.

B

Wait......shrooms? Like in 'hairy mushrooms'? They sting?

Fanof49ASU

OK, I think I've got proof it's stings...... or close to it.

ClownFrogspawn.jpg

She just now started doing this in my presence.

ReefApprentice

The spots are fine. As far as the FW dip it was unnecessary but maybe helpful. Never know what is happening on the inside. B)

Alex

Archived