Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CALICUM LOW/SNAILS ACTING FUNNY

dawgs

i have a 12gallon nano cube that has been up for 7months. Nitrates 2, nitrites 0, ph 8.3, high alk, low amn. I have 7lbs of live rock, 1 damsel, 1 clownfish, 3 hermit crabs, and 6 astrea snails. Starting about 3 weeks ago i noticed my snails not moving around very much and some of them would be laying on there sides. If i picked them up in my hand they would move around. I noticed my six line wrasse messing with one of them and thought that was the problem. At the time i didnt want to lose the wrasse so i moved the snails to my 75g tank and they have been fine. A week later i realized that i would have to have snails in this nano. I traded the wrasse in for the damsel listed above and got 6 astrea snails. At first they started climbing up the glass but over the weekend they are back to not moving around or laying on their sides. Could the clownfish be harrassing them also? I also can not get my cal level up above 200 in that tank. Could there be a chemical that is keeping the cal low and affecting the snails? I currently use chemipure so i am confused that there could be any harmful element in the water. I also do weekly water changes.

I have tried dosing with purple up and straight cal and the level still stays at 200.

Please help

How's your dkh value? Also, can you or have you tested for magnesium?

Mganesium will help balance ca/dkh values in a tank.

Cameron

my alk is at 3.6 or higher. i have not tested magnesium. What impact also woud any of this have on the snails or is that a seperate problem

Your clown or damsel shouldnt be bothering the snails. Try using another test kit, as that might be the problem. Whats the temp of your tank ? The damsel could be a problem, though, in the future since they are very aggressive and territorial.

Archived