SaltCritters.com

Got my 50 gal reef up and started

thepro

So I have a 50 gallon reef up and running and starting it's cycle. The only thing I don't like is I bough the equipment off a guy getting out of the hobby and he didn't tell me he had 2 clown fish he was giving me. So I have no choice but to put them in the tank and hope they make it thru the cycle. Otherwise he was going to toss them. I wasn't planning on putting in fish for months. I'm just hoping since he had the tank up and running and I am using his sand and live rock, but with new water, that it will be ok.

I'm running a 50 gallon tank, 192W compact flor. light, protein skimmer. Over 50 lbs of live rock and live sand. 1 powerhead (I need another), a penguine 330 filter (just for water flow) and a 150W heater. The tank is looking nice, I just hope the fish make it. It's going to be tough.

My stats are

82degrees

0ppm Nitrite

0ppm NItrate

PH 8.2

Ammonia .5

Well, do a water change weekly and run the skimmer 24/7. Don't wait on waterchage until your cycle is done.

did you buy live rock and sand and everything from the same guy...if all the rock is cured you may not have a huge cycle.

The Keeper

They will be fine. With cured rock and sand there will be no cycle..or maybe a tiny one if the rock was exposed to air for a some time.. But if you kept it submerged the entire time, there should be almost no die off...

The rock and sand is cured. The rock was exposed to air for about a half hour to an hour, but it stayed moist. The fish are still doing well. I'm out of town, but I have a friend checking them. I'll check chemicals Friday.

Archived