inTank Media Baskets

Cheap 12V Transformer.

Kaxter

I need to hook up two 1.5 inch fans to my hood. I went to radioshack and they had NO idea how to do it. I have a vague idea after searching for it, but couldnt find out what transformer I need. Also, do I need two of them or can I just use one? Ross...I copied your canopy using your brilliant plans...thanks:)

*Edit* I see I clicked on members section instead of DIY...sorry about that, if any stealth mod can move this it would be appreciated.

hey Kaxter.... i have a 12v dc or ac transformer with realy, so the fans go off when your lights turn of.. $15 for transformer and $25 with relay setup. or trade for frags. if you need a whole light setup, let me know.

i have a bunch of used 12vdc adaptors. if this is what you're looking for to run those 40mm fans, PM me or something.

input: 120v 60hz 25w

output: 12vdc 1000mA

If you got those fans at radio shack I dont know why the guy that worked there didnt point you in the direction of the 12 volt DC converters they sell there. Thats is where i got mine, i will attach some pics. The item number is 22-502. Here's a link to it on radioshack.com.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...t%5Fid=22%2D502

Here is a pic of the back of the unit. The red and black wires of the fans simply clip into the pos and neg terminals. You may need to buy some wire to extend the fans wiring if you're more than a foot away from the power converter though. Just get some small wire nuts to do this. HTH.

;)

I used a wall transformer from my old cordless phone and that works fine. Just look at the output rating. Mine said OUTPUT 12V DC / 300mA. If your timer has a second outlet, plug it there. Now your light and fan will come one the same time. That is as cheap as you can get.

As Lan and Liz said there are certainly cheaper alternatives to my solution in the post above theirs however, the good thing about what ive done is that the one unit will run a buttload of fans (up to 1.75 AMPS worth). In fact after i get my 20 gallon up and running im considering doing a ten gallon setup that is similar and would require 2 more fans and i can just wire them in directly to the unit with no worries and no more money spent.

Well, I just got back from Wal-Mart and got myself a trasformer. It has a selector switch on it to go from 3v to 12v, and it is 600ma. So I just cut the outlet off of the end and twist my fans on? How do I put both of them on the same transformer, is there a connector that I need?

Archived