Pod Your Reef

Jasert's 40 Breeder

jasert39

After keeping a twenty gallon alive for three months I decided i wanted bigger and upgraded to the 40 gallon breeder that I am now happy with. Built my own stand and hood and retrofitted 4x65 watt power compacts into the hood. Current equipment is a bak pak skimmer, cpr hob refugium, 200 watt heater a maxijet 900 and 600.

I have siliconed baffles in the old twenty long bought a coralife super skimmer 125 and a lifereef overflow box and I am current looking for an affordable return pump and get my new sump/skimmer going. (so if anyone is going to be looking for a cpr or small aquafuge give me a week or so and they will be available.)

Livestock - two clowns, YWG, cleaner shrimp, nass snails, turbos, ceriths, margarita snails, 5 scarlet shrimp, and fighting turtle conch.

Corals - five different zoos, two variations of frogspawn, xenia, anthelias, couple different shrooms, yellow polyps, and gsp.

here are some pics of my newly setup sump/fuge...dont laugh.

I know they make clear silicon...bought what i thought was clear got started and didnt want to stop.

I also know that I should have planned my stand better...lol..now I have some new work to cover up on that bad boy.

post-14799-1147995189_thumb.jpg

post-14799-1147995198_thumb.jpg

I also know that I should have planned my stand better...lol..now I have some new work to cover up on that bad boy.

yeah it looks kinda ghetto with that cutting job. Nice fuge though. :)

lol, didnt have much choice. I will get some sort of molding to cover it up. I feel like such an dope had it all figured out, but then had to go and add the cosmetics pieces without thinking.

My tank has been struggling of late. Not really sure why but my corals aren't opening up like they should, cant figure it out. Everything seems fine as far as parameters go. Hoping that they are adjusting to the heavier flow that is in the tank.

Recent purchases...a refractometer (tired of the hydrometer, and dont trust it) also a red sea wavemaker to run my powerheads on.

Im hoping this get better and ill get some more pics up.

My tank has been struggling of late. Not really sure why but my corals aren't opening up like they should, cant figure it out.

Nice tank, I hope your tank turns around soon. I’ve never seen white aquarium silicone, are you sure that it is reef safe?

thanks, its the same silicon that I have used before just didnt read the bottle like I should have. Things are slowly turning back to normal...gsp are coming out and mushrooms are showing some comeback. All of a sudden I am also seeing a ton of pods crawling around now...i think that adding all the new water and sand in the fuge had started a minicycle that I am finally getting out of.

i think that adding all the new water and sand in the fuge had started a minicycle that I am finally getting out of.

I’m glad that your tank is doing better! :)

Kitchen and bath silicones often contain fungicides/mildewcides which are not reef-safe, but it sounds like your silicone could be fine. However, I’m not giving up on the possibility that it might have caused your problem.

Even though you can add water much sooner, it can take a week or so for silicone to fully cure. ‘Aquarium safe’ silicones release acetic acid while curing; which has caused problems for some people working with it on a regular basis. Silicones like GE Silicone II and equivalents release ammonia instead (which is safer for human workers); however, it is slightly weaker and can cause problems to tank inhabitants while curing, so it is typically labeled not for aquarium use. Once fully cured, it should not continue to release ammonia and it should be safe as long as there aren’t added ingredients like fungicides, mildewcides, algaecides, bactericides…

So your description of a ‘minicycle’ might be accurate, but possibly caused by the silicone instead of the sand and water. Just a thought; I’m just glad things are turning around.

very intresting...thanks for sharing I had no idea about any of that. So i guess hopefully now things are on their way back up and sooner or later I should be good to go...thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

i know its been a while but thought I would update...thing have gotten a lot better in the tank of late. The zoos that are left are opening and mushrooms are spreading.

New additions...

A free six line wrasse from local reefer, lawnmower blenny and blue leg hermits (felt that i deserved them after in good night in atlantic city) and an emerald crab.

I have changed the rockwork so i can post pictures later.

6-16-06 FTS and my maxijet we glued to magnets to replace the silly suctions cups. Wavemaker and two additional 900's have been added.

post-14799-1150543699_thumb.jpg

post-14799-1150543705_thumb.jpg

post-14799-1150543712_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

all is well in the tank now...other that the six line wrasse trying to explore my carpet (RIP mr. six line). Better news is that I received 18 new zoa frags yesterday. I have decided to dedicate this tank to only zoas and shrooms. Here is the tank as it apprears today.

post-14799-1151807618_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived