ReefCleaners.org

Refugium Plumbing Design Question

wwc

I have attached a layout of a 'fuge I am thinking of making w/ glass (will sit on small stand behind 20gallon tank). After considering considerations of where to put this thing and looking at HOB filters I'm thinking of using a similar idea for bring water into the 'fuge. I.E. place a powerhead inside the first chamber w/ an input pulling water from the tank. I'm thinking that the intake would be located 2-3 below the water surface in the aquarium. And be placing the 'fuge top of walls slightly (1-3") above the aquarium the return flow would be by gravity.

Questions I have not fully answered:

1. For a 5 gallon 'fuge servicing a 20 gallon tank - what is a min and max flow rates that are good?

2. What is a convenient place or way to find plastic pieces to make a siphon w/ and attach to a powerhead? I live in Houston but don't have spare parts for one. I suppose I would also need to fix / make an adapter for the different diameters between a powerhead and a siphon tube.

3. Is it a problem if the baffle between the main area and the return chamber is only about 1/2 the depth of the tank (starting at the top and extending downward)

4. Would a powerhead tend to start the water flow or should I expect to deal w/ somehow priming the tube?

5. Would directing the outflow from the powerhead toward the baffle wall be considered not a good choice? Otherwise I'm thinking of pointing it upward and I have visions of a small fountain creating a mess.....

6. When glueing glass, what types of glue are BAD or have ingredients I should avoid (not sure how to select "good" glue)

7. Plus any other suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input - wwc

Archived