Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Difference between medium and mogule?

quiksilver5768

quiksilver5768

I have a question...i currently have a 12K Sunburst 175 MH bulb. I was looking at two different horizontal PFO IceCap Pendants. One is a mogule socket and another is a medium socket. They are both meant to hold a single ended bulb but i dont what the difference is....isnt there one custom single ended sockets for all MH bulbs (NOT double ended HQI's)....?

Also...Can anyone help me decided on a decent priced horizontal pendant?

This is where i was looking...

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_lt_mh_pfo.asp?CartId=

Scroll down untill you see the IceCap Horizontal MH Pendants...both the mogule and medium socets cost $105.

Mogul is a larger socket than medium i believe. Check with the bulb manufacturer to see which yours is before you order a pendant system for it. As for your other question I'm not sure...never looked into buyng a pendant system....take a look on ebay....perhaps someone is selling one for cheap. HTH :)

hey quick-

just bought that "ice cap" pendant from pfo-love it. check out this thread-

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...7&highlight=hex

most if not all 175w bulbs are mogul sockets-as are 250s and 400s. 150W use the medium socket (just a lil narrower diameter base-more like a standard incandescent) often. chances are very good that your bulb is a mogul, maybe someone else here knows specifically. HTH, lemme know if you have any questions!

tg

edit-i looked around alot for a good (price definitely a factor) horizontal pendant-much more efficient in terms of light output vs bell shape-and couldn't find anything better. i think hamilton makes one really similar-check champion. my ballast is a pfo so i went this way for compatability. sunlight supply has one too-reef optix something or other. the other thing to consider is the slightly larger model with actinic supplementation-2 x 32W PCs and a fan. may dispense with some of your heat issues-if you have any. i went smaller cuz my tank has a smaller footprint. but man those actinics would be nice-i run a single 10K ushio.

quiksilver5768

Also wondering, how is the hang on this pendant? Does it come with some sort of wire and connection so it can be hung? How did you set yours up?

hey quick-

really sorry i didn't get back to you sooner-did you check out that thread? no biggie. um the pendant's on a 10 hex, really looks good, works good! the 175 penetrates the depths of the hex pretty well, so i'm sure it'll work wonderfully for your 20!

the top of the pendant has two holes that accept the included eye hooks. so basically it has two circular rings on top with which to hang it. or the holes could be used to mount it in a canopy or whatever. i used picture hanging wire from home depot to hang the canopy from to plant hooks on the ceiling. i used electrical shrink wrap tubing to seal the "knots" (diagram on package). anyways, it works ok or, you could use some kind of chain, or whatever. if i think of any other ways to do it i'll let you know. HTH!

quiksilver5768

Thanks for the reply....i was just thinking that it didn't come with anything since they might also want you to buy the PFO hanging wire kit along with it...lol. Thanks for the info

BTW, yea i checked out the thread after i posted my response. I saw that thread a while back when you orginally posted it.

Archived