ReefCleaners.org

what do i need to test for sps?

Lord Nano

I have a standard test kit with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and pH. I have a 96w coralife 50/50 over a normal 10g. I have a 6 gallon sump underneath with macro and LR rubble. My question is... what else do i need to test for if i want to get sps? also do i have enough lighting for some simple sps? and will the fact that i have a pulsing xenia, ricordea, and blue mushroom in there already affect the sps?

Strontium, magnesium, Alk/dkh, calcium...

The other corals shouldn't cause any problems unless they come into contact. I've seen plenty of people keep SPS in similar setups...you should be ok to do so as long as you monitor said parameters.

Cameron

a metal halide lamp will do wonder for sps coral.

Not necessarily, depends on the sps. There are several found in our lfs that do well with VHOs and PCs.

geekreef_05

You'll likely be fine. I have Xenia, 'shrooms and other coral in with my SPS, and they have no problems.

My two cents is that you may want to upgrade to a halide lamp; Ive seen people with SPS under PC's and they look very brown compared to halides. And most importantly make sure you tank is STABLE: your temp, salinity, pH and calc should never fluctuate any significant amount.

Try what myself and many other reefers have done: start with a monti and see how it does. Generally monti's are the easiest of the SPS.

Only Acropora or some Montipora strictly require MH or T-5 HO. Alk, Calc, pH, and temperature need to be very stable. I would get the parameters read daily and make sure they are stable for a minimum of two weeks before adding anything. Shouldn't be too difficult as long as you start with something like a stylo, pocillopora, birdsnest, monti, porites... just avoid the Acropora temptation at any cost due to your lighting and their difficulty of care. Good luck!

geekreef_05

hhmm....

...Ive definately seen monti's under PC's before. Not the most impressive, but certianly works. Just not as colourful as it could be under Halides.

Archived