Pod Your Reef

h. zostrae pico

johnmauser

johnmauser

Hi all. I revamped my office pico while I'm changing offices. It used to have liverock and a few corals but I've changed it into a horse ranch. Caleurpa, a slow air driven filter and horses...that's it. I've got six horses, I'm pretty sure that only one is a male...but he came in the mail pregnant! I'll try to keep this post updated, especially when the male has his babies.

Heres a few pics for you.

Enjoy,

John

post-18851-1147400284_thumb.jpg

post-18851-1147400313_thumb.jpg

post-18851-1147400419_thumb.jpg

post-18851-1147400440_thumb.jpg

post-18851-1147400510_thumb.jpg

johnmauser
So Cute :happy: I almost got a few of those but two sw tanks was to much for me to manage.

I only have 4 at my house :happy:

kiltboy1675

If you dont mind me asking;

Where did you get your horses from?

What do you feed?

Whats the matinence schedule?

johnmauser
If you dont mind me asking;

Where did you get your horses from?

What do you feed?

Whats the matinence schedule?

I pm'd you

althefishguy

Very Nice what are You feeding ? If You want more pm Me I will be

ready to ship around the 15th of june !!

johnmauser

monsterfishkeeper and althefishguy have pm's

pico1 it is a whisper filter, not sure if it was made for fish fry or not but I got it for about $10 at petsmart and it seems to do the trick. For topoffs, I just keep a bottle of RO water sitting out to top it off every other day and I do a weekly water change. So far, so good...just waiting for the arrival of the dreaded hydroids. :angry:

johnmauser
you should only get hydroids if you have live rock

I've read this many times also but I know this to be false. I raise jellyfish for a living and get colonies of hydroids in the system all the time. These tanks are bare of anything and the water also passes through a UV Steralizer. The only way that these hydroids can get in there is with the artemia (brine shrimp). By the way, these artemia eggs are high quality and are decapsulated. So unfortunately, I fear it is just a matter of time until they show up in a dwarf seahorse system. Hydroids are nasty and will actually grab hold of the jellies as they float by.

John

johnmauser

then there were 11...

I woke up this morning to find extra horses in my tank, and a father horse with an empty belly :) I'm able to find 5 of them, I think that's all there is but it's hard to tell since they hide so well. They're quite large compared to baby h. erectus I've seen in the past. I fed out bbs this afternoon and the babies were working at them. Here's one not so good shot for size comparison. I'll try to get some better ones.

post-18851-1147638013_thumb.jpg

Fishfreak218

thats GREAT!.. i bet there is more then 5.. with all that macroalge i dont think you'll ever count them all :) atleast until there a little larger

im also interested in the maintanence of these little guys...why dont you just post up on here instead of pm'ing everyone...enlighten us please

Fishfreak218

make baby brine shrimp every day.. feed them enriched baby brine shrimp daily.. and um.. lots of waterchanges and some people say not to use Lr with the because of Hydroids

johnmauser

The reason that I didn't post the seahorse supplier up here is because he's just a diver I know that sells some livestock he catches. He's not a big time seahorse supplier and I really want to keep him to myself. There are plenty of dwarf seahorse suppliers out there, just do a search on yahoo. I'm surprised how many people are interested in these guys. Don't get me wrong, theyre awesome, but if you knew how much work there was involved in raising them, you might change your mind. If I wasn't already raising baby brine shrimp to feed jellyfish, I'd be sick of taking care of these guys by now. I'm hoping to be able to captive breed these guys, I feel bad about taking them out of the wild.

John

Fishfreak218

www.seahorsesource.com awesome person.. never heard any complaints.. for those of u who do want Dwarf Seahorses..they are also captive bred..

i'll be picking my Seahorses up from him sometime around july (he's local to me)..

im not asking for your supplier...im asking your routine and maintanence...your feeding schedule, equipment youve found neccessary, downfalls with your setup, things like that...i could care less who you get them from. i know they are a ton of maintanence but i want to know how much...ive been reefing for 8 or so years, i understand dedication and routine

DementedLullaby

seahorse.org has all the care info you will ever need. If you want to keep seahorses and your not a member there then you fail :P lol! Sign up :)

I want to keep dwarfs someday. My fiancee and I both love seahorses. Maybe next winter :) right now we're both pretty broke lol! If anyone knows a source in Canada though feel free to PM me ~_^

althefishguy

You can cut down Maint. if You keep Sys. like a fuge !!!

get some pods or get some good macro out of a fuge should be loaded with

creatures !!! That will give them a natural food source cuts down on live brine !!!

macro cuts down on junk algae so sys. needs less maint. !!! The easiest way to

get them to breed is a temp. drop for 2-3 days !!! Once You get fry start them on

phytoplan etc. they will eat processed food as adults that way !!!

I will have horses ready to ship in about a week !!!!

irishtexan

Well I am thinking about getting dwarfs and have been researching like crazy. But there is one thing that I do not understand. If you do not use live rock or live sand, how do you cycle the tank? What are your methods, and how long does it take?

Thanks!

texan

Archived