Pod Your Reef

Flamehawkfish for 21 gal

R*Frost*

hi i was just wondering whether a 21 g would be enough for a flame hawkfish. and if it was could i keep any more fish with it like clownfish?

i was also wondering i no that hawkfish eat shrimp big enough to fit in their mouyhs is ther any shrimp that is safe with them?

help appreciated simon :)

I looked them up in a book because I don't know too much about them.

Heres a little bit of what it says:

....Great fish for a tank 30 gallons or larger. Like a bird, it perches up on the rocks and swoops down to grab it's food. This fish may prey on small shrimp. Provide plenty of rock work for this fish, it likes to hide.

There isn't much size difference from 21 to 30 gallons.....You could try keeping one I think. I'm not sure about the clowns or the shrimp thought.

thx alot for your info just wondering?

what book would u recommend for a easy to read species profile of marine fish including picture of fish

help appreciated simon

I don't use too many books, I just come online.

One of the books that I normally thumb through for answers would be "The Marine Aquarium Handbook". I got the information about the hawkfish from the Dr. Fosters and Smith catalog. It gives fish descriptions on about 20 fish.

I would say you walk a very fine line in keeping a flamehawk in a 20, but it would probably work. As long as you get shrimp that are bigger than the flame he won't eat them - that is just my experience.

A small Flame hawk should be fine. I also have a large clarkii and a small ocellaris clown with mine and he doesn't mess with them at all. Like Wig's book says, make sure you give them plenty of ledges, overhangs, etc to perch on. Some people say they are shy.............WRONG! I find mine hangin' arounf all the time:P

I'm not sure I trust the tank size requirements information from Dr. Foster & Smith. They say almost every fish, even common nano fish like the firefish and clowns, require at least a 30 gallon tank.

Also, a lot of the advice in their catalog seems like it was generated by a database program.

I'd trust the collective experience of the people on these boards before I'd trust these guys.

Though they aren't much of a open water swimmer I'd go at least a 29 gallon on one. Also thought they may not eat the larger shrimp many still will attack and kill them - biological hardwiring hard to overcome.

Archived