Coral Vue Hydros

Nice BUY on LIVE ROCK.......

SaltyDawg

Flying Fish Express is having a sale on all of their live rock. 45lbs walt smith 165$ including shipping, 45# Tonga 200$ including shipping, 45# Aqua cultured Fiji 175$ including shipping. Shipping is overnite. Just thought I would share this with you guys.

Originally posted by scruz

thats like 4 bucks a pound shipped seems ok to me.

Yeah I guess you're right.. plus it's Walt Smith so it's more than likely good quality. I've heard a story from one person though who ordered from walt smith and received some pretty cruddy rock...

WS Fiji - $3.66/lb to your door

Tonga - $4.44/lb to your door

AC Fiji - $3.88/lb to your door

Lucky for me.. i'm working on a website for a local fish store and that should cover my charges for LR. :D Plus this shop only charges $3.10/lb(Fiji) for a 45lb box if you take it right away rather than him storing it in their tanks.

geez where do you guys live that they sell LR that cheap??? There are pretty much only 2-3 decent stores around here for anything salt water related and the cheapest they sell LR for is $5.50/lb. I've seen it as high as $6.99. Wish I lived where you guys do.

Originally posted by vanessa

geez where do you guys live that they sell LR that cheap??? There are pretty much only 2-3 decent stores around here for anything salt water related and the cheapest they sell LR for is $5.50/lb. I've seen it as high as $6.99. Wish I lived where you guys do.

Yeah actually that's the only store that will do that. Any LR from their tanks will cost your $4.25/lb. Another store has Fiji for $4.50/lb. And the largest store around here used to sell Fiji for $4.99/lb but they've switched to selling Tonga rock only now and they charge $7.99/lb.

:x

11.99 RETAIL fer Premium here localy.

PS: 90% of the Walt Smith rock sucks ass that I have seen recently.

Tonga branch is tough to like. It always has a 80 %dieoff factor, and does NOT have a lot of worms in it.

I have rock on aquabid.com right now also if anyone is interested. Auction # 1045086517 :) since were dole'n out the free spam in this thread :D

Most of the stores here in Des Moines are the type that gouge the prices, too. The rock looks like poo, all sorts of aiptasia and brown algae on it, no coralline. Basically, they're charging $9.50/lb. for base rock. Anything that looks nice is probably $2 or $3 higher.

Originally posted by TStaut

$8.99/lb for crappy, I mean CRAPPY, fiji in Dallas/Ft Worth.

If you're in the DFW area you're lucky.. you have www.themarinecenter.com to buy from. They charge $10 shipping in the area, and $20 shipping throughout Texas.

Prem. Fiji (less than full box) $3.99/lb

Prem. Fiji (45#) $2.99/lb

Ex. Lrg. Prem Fiji (45#) $3.99/lb

Savaii Ultra Prem. (70#) $4.50/lb

Jeff's Exotic is the shiznit for live rock if you live in so.cal. Plus for small tanks, you can usually find some nice pieces in the $1.50 per lb. bin. Just make sure you go like on Tuesdays, when they get new shipments and are stocked.

Amusingly, there's a store near me that has a big container of 'live rock' which looks like utter and complete crap.

Then they have another container of 'live coral', some of which is alright, some of which is pretty sucky. But amusingly a hunk of live rock got put into the 'live coral' tank labelled 'coralline algae rock' at $8.99.

And yes, before you ask, none of the 'live rock' in the 'live rock' tank has anything remotely resembling coralline on it.

Sad.

Ratty

• 2 weeks later...

Screw all you... j/k

LR Around Here;

$8/lb for Walt Smith that has literly been totally dry sitting in a box on a shelf for a few weeks.

$10/lb for tonga branch that is preatty much cured, but not much color at all.

$8/lb for some very dense fuji that is cured but no great coloring. (no coraline at all, lol)

Thats just whats on top of my head, and some how ended up putting a 70lb mix into my 90g of the tonga and fuji. Then added 15lbs from my established 10g. For the rest tho I think I am gonna order that $130 special at gulf-view.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a question. What do you folks think'd be an appropriate price for a hunk of rock that was:

1) Fully cured, as in 'is in my aquarium and has been there for quite a while'

2) 80-90% covered in bright purple and green coralline

3) Has a few small softy frags spliced to it.

How much'd you pay? Note, this is a THEORETICAL piece of rock...

Ratty

hmm well I just paid a guy who is in my reef club $80 for the following...

#20 lbs fiji LR covered in coralline growth

5 small mushrooms

2 heads of candy cane coral frag

3Lbs live rock with green star polyps all over it...

so depending on how much the LR weighed I would probably pay $3/lb for the rock and then maybe $5 for each frag of coral on the rock. ;):P

Archived