Cultivated Reef

Water Problems

NewbieNanoReefer

NewbieNanoReefer

I have some serious water quality problems. It is either the water souces that i have been using or it could be what i am doing. I explain what has happened in the past 2 weeks and what has lead me to my question.

1. After my reef cycled i didnt have access to RO water so i used distilled water from poland springs. I premixed it in a 5 gallon bucket adding Instant Ocean and letting it mix for 24 hrs. The ph of the distilled water was 8.6 then after 24hrs it made a sharp decline.

2. I went to the local water supply and filled a 5 gallon bucket with RO water, the water ph was 9.6 which was amazingly high. I added Instant Ocean, and tested approx 4 hours later. The ph made a sharp decline and is holding stable at about 7.9.

I cant get the ph to stay stable at 8.3. I cant even get the water to stay stable in a 5 gallon bucket. I added Reef Buffer to the bucket then boom a sudden decline after about 1 hr back down to a ph of 7.9 I have access to the following buffers, supps, and additives.

Seachem Reef Buffer

Seachem Reef Builder

Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium

Seachem Iodine

Aragamight

HBH Balance Bars

I hope someone can explain why i cant get the water to stablize.

I cant test the alkalinity until i receive my test kit, but would that explain the huge buffering problems that i am currently having? If i increased the alkalinity would that help stablize the ph? Can someone tell me what is the proper alkalinity for a nano? Remember before you ask specifics about my reef, i am having these problems with a 5 gallon bucket of water with nothing in it.

Check out www.aquacraft.net for his seasalt comparison chart article. also click on the IO icon.

You are experiencing TEXTBOOK results of the IO brand salts and exactly how they mix up.

I would say that your WATER isn't 100 % "OK" nor can I blame it on your tank or buffers. it all comes down to Mg, Ca, Alk and Bicarbonates actualy in the water. IO has a notoriously low buffering capacity.

my advice: get a better salt.

it will make a world of diff ;)

HTH.

ps: there are a few HUGE threds on salts and one is a GREAT flame war too :D.

with the variations you noted i'd be suspect of the pH test kit. : you might want to try a different test brand (cheap) first. i can't see why RO water at 9.6 would drop below 8.0 in 4 hrs. when distilled stays at 8.6 after 24 hrs. of mixing with the same salt. ???

as dave notes there could definitely be issues with the water sources(s) too. i never knew poland spring marketed a true distilled water. :

also i'd back off of the additives until you figure out your water source and salt. stay with one source. IO is ok (for FO) but i agree others are better. i use coralife and it's decent. i agree with dave that TM is very good.

btw same bucket? :

Archived