SaltCritters.com

Maiden's Hair Plant

Glindorf

I just realized while looking at pictures of this that I have Maiden's Hair Plant (Chlorodesmis). my reef tank is 30 gallons, right now, there are only snails and crabs. Do you think I should get rid of it? 'cause it's pretty for algae ^_^

Nope, I'd keep it. It likes highish flow and works ok for nutrient export. I think it may be a calcerous algae so if you get a lot of it you Ca levels may drop some.

not sure, I've never had any jsut read about it. You could just snip off pieces as it gets too long or scrape it off rock if it spreads too fast. FWIW this seems to be a somewhat harder to get established/thriving algae based on what I've read. There is a marine plant forum over on RC if you want to try there also.

get some long stainless steel surgical scissors. Additionally you can find long handles tongs at some LFS that also have interchangable cutting blade for FW planted tanks. Work just fine in pruning reef tanks I've found.

That look like maidens hair? Not that are readily available to my knowledge. Well bryopsis heh but most people try to get rid of that not cultivate it :)

Archived