Top Shelf Aquatics

Dosing

mikero64

I have a question about dosing. First of all Ive been running a nano for around a year.

20h

25lb live rock

40lbs live sand

2 false percula clowns

some sps 5 smaller frags

gsp

leather

xenia

shrooms

ricordia

and some micro algae

2 power heads

hang on back filter

2x65 watt power compacts

I had great coralline growth untill I added a couple of the sps frags.

Is this normal?

Now I am planning on dosing with Kalk water. what I am worried about is the fact that my ph is already around 8.4. Is this anything to worry about. I understand that kalk can raise the ph. any other advise would be greatly appreaciated. As you can tell I am very nurvious about starting to dose.

???

SPS eat up a lot of calcium and before you start doing any dosing you NEED to do some tests with test kits to see how much you'll need to dose and how often. Dosing without tests can be a hazardous ordeal.

Have you never dosed anything to the tank before? How often are you doing water changes? I need a little more info to help you correctly.

Cameron

I do a 1 gallon change once every two weeks. I have never dosed anything before.

Then as far as testing I havent tested anything in about 6 months. I usually let my corals tell me if something is wrong. Thankfully there has been nothing that seems to be out of wack.

Proper Kalkwasser dosing is a pain. I tried to do it with a Kent Aquadoser. Big pain in the ass. After some experience with it, I wouldn't dose it without a good dosing pump and float valve.

Personally, for the same space and money constraints that led me to nano-reefing in the first place, I like to add a two part Ca/buffer additive. In fact, according to their webpage I'm pretty sure Kent recommends their two part additive over using kalkwasser.

JMO

Archived