Innovative Marine Aquariums

What to do now? + poll

jane of baden

What should the crabs fate be?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. I just caught another rogue gorilla crab (xanthid species) from my tank and I have no idea what to do with him. I figured someone here might be able to help me with ideas. So far the ideas are:

• Kill it (which is mean and sad)
    • Take him to the LFS and let someone else kill it (still sad!)
    • set up the tiny pico. keep it (but he'll get big, and that is MORE maintenance...)
    • give him away. (a future monster! fully grown hes sizeable)

euthanize him. there isn't much of a market for pest crabs. you could always keep him around for a while and wait until he gets bigger. you may have an easier time finding someone to take him then.

brent-konieczny

Nobody will want him and its too much hassle for you to take care of it. Drop him in boiling water and he will be dead in a few seconds.

i've heard euthanizing by freezing is the most humane way but i voted for you to keep him.

if he can survive the harsher parameters of a pico and provide entertainment at the same time, i think it'd be worth it. unusual setups can be eye-catching.

"do not feed the gorilla...crab" :lol:

ezcompany

grow him as large as you can and sell him for "rare dungness crab" @ the nearest non english speaking chinese market

supersecretshinto

If you kill it you damn well better eat it! Then you'd have food chain immunity privilages, otherwise....

eu·tha·na·sia

The act or practice of ending the life of an individual SUFFERING from a TERMINAL ILLNESS or an INCURABLE CONDITION.

Now that I've cleared that up, care to guess wich word means to kill for no good reason?

shinto, what do they call it when they kill unwanted/overpopulated stray cats?

community service! hahahaha

jk :P

shinto, what do they call it when they kill unwanted/overpopulated stray cats?

community service! hahahaha

jk :P

oh no . . . crush on tiny . . . weakening . . .
eu·tha·na·sia

The act or practice of ending the life of an individual SUFFERING from a TERMINAL ILLNESS or an INCURABLE CONDITION.

in·cur·a·ble con·di·tion

being born as a gorilla crab and hitchiking your way into a nano-reef

oh no . . . crush on tiny . . . weakening . . .
i keed, i keed. :lol:

what can i say? i had a traumatic childhood with cats.

xgftx0.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i got a sump full of them :)

i kept them in my reef for over a year before they grew enough to pose any problems.

I had one of these years ago and when I first saw it it was the size of a dime roughly. By the time I figured out how bad it was, it destroyed many a coral and my clam. I wasn't the happiest of campers. Flush the bloody thing

i've heard euthanizing by freezing is the most humane way but i voted for you to keep him.

Actually I think that's one of the harshest. Imagine slowly freezing to death. Your pain slowly increases for up to a few hours before sweet death finally releases you from it!

Put him in a zip lock bag and give him a swift smash with a hammer.

jane of baden
Or you could send it to me :)

Do you really want him?

I still have him in a little in-tank quarantine... Aka pimped out ziplock bag.

I say take him to a LFS that you dont like and trade it in for store credit. Buy your stuff and let them deal with him.

Knowing some stores they will sell it as a rare crab of some kind

Archived