Coral Vue Hydros

Converting fresh water tanks to salt

jimmie51

I have been given the ok to convert the 65 gal FW tank at work over to a FOWLR tank. Eventually we will make it a reef tank. I have seen people taking about metal free tanks. I know that we have used copper safe in the tank before and I'm not sure what else. Is this tank ok to use or will I have problems? Any advise is appreteated. Thanks

whatever was in the tank is useless now imo. (assuming you go reef eventually). the tank, itself can be rinsed and then soaked for a week or so (re-filled), at which time you can re-test for residual copper.

since you're going FOWLR first you can always take your time and just continually test for copper and run adsorbers to remove it until zero readings show (and then keep doing it some more). just don't try to salvage gravel, rock, and filters (imo). hth

Thx tinyreef. I should have said that the only thing that will stay is the tank and the hob filter. All the media will be replaced along with everything else. I don't think that copper safe has been used in at least a year, I will test for it it. I plan I setting it up so all we will have to do is add a wet/dry filter skimmer combo and upgrade the lighting and we will be reef ready. The boss was all for the total package when he saw my nano on my desk, but then I priced out all the components to convert our FW to a reef and he changed his mind. Once it is up and going I know he will cave in and want to upgrade but I have to start slow. Thx again for the help!

Archived