inTank Media Baskets

Emperor 400 as water movement?

Hawkeye

Ok, I was thinking of using a Emperor 400 as the main source of water movement in my 20g. Will only be using one side for filtering and the other for possible refiguim. Anyone have any ideas on making the second compartment a refigium. Do you think this will be to small? I picked this becuase a friend has the 400 as the only water mover in his 55g but uses both compartments for filtering.

Another question I have is halimeda hard to grow. I saw it in a 20g in the members tank. It gave a great look to the nano. Thanks for any help.

;)

issue with the emperor (i have two of them) is the non visibility of the chambers. you may want to go with two smaller aquaclears instead. you'll get a higher filtration output, separate filters so that the refugium can still be throttled back and not the filter, and finally the clarity of the aquaclears allows you to view/show the fuge. two separate units will also allow more variation of flow (a plus). the emperor is a good filter tho imo.

ca/alk/mg for the halimeda. treat it like a stony coral and it should grow well ime.

If you want water movement, there's no need for the cost/bulk of the emperor, not to mention the issue with it being hard to see what's going on inside.

I would recommend one of the Hagen-brand Aqua-clear Hang-On-Back filters. They are extremely reliable, and don't have the complex plumbing of the Emperor. Plus, the Aqua-Clear uses a basket to hold filter material, so you can but bags or chunks of whatever you want in there.

Halimeda uses calcium like crazy. Mine is doing well, but it goes through growth spurts. For a couple weeks it grows a new segment to full size every day on every branch.. and creates many new branches. Then it will slow down for a few weeks. During the slow times I rip out chunks that are in the way, nasty looking, or getting covered by coralline algae.

Wouldnt an emperor 400 be a little over kill? I mean I have one on my 100g brackish tank as sole filtration and water movement and it circulates the entire collum at a prety good clip running it the length onthe tank. I would assume it would make mini titdle wave in your 20g and overflow on the oposite side due to current?

Ya, I decided that that is way to big! I'm going with the emperor 280 for filter and circulation. Also going to save my money and buy/make a fug. My idea for that will be to use the 280 as pre-filter by extending the pick-up tube over the top of the fug to the tank, then the filtered water into the fug and overflow from fug to tank. May need ph for more flow in the tank. Still working on that money thing. But mixing water and salt as we speak. One step closer!!! Sunday morning will start sand and water and two weeks later to the LFS for some small amounts of live rock. FINALLY!!!

Archived